How many JVM programmers here? - Programming On Unix

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ippytraxx
Members
So how many people here program in any of the JVM languages? Java, Scala, Groovy, Clojure, Jython, what have you.
jobss
Long time nixers
I sometimes mutter about with jruby.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
Ippytraxx
Members
(17-10-2013, 08:14 PM)NeoTerra Wrote: I use Java at school and I really have taken a liking to it.
Awesome man, more power to you. At least you didn't jump on the usual Java hate bandwagon. What do you like about it?

Personally I really dig JavaFX which is a HUGE upgrade from the old days of AWT/Swing. Just absolutely amazing what they have done with it. Also concurrency in Java IMO is hands down better than in any other language. Super easy to mulithread applications without clobbering it all.

(17-10-2013, 08:07 PM)jobss Wrote: I sometimes mutter about with jruby.
Nice, if you ever want to step it up, I highly recommend Scala.
crshd
Registered
I've done some Clojure a while back. Nothing serious though. I might get back into it, lisp is beautiful.
ne0phyte
Members
I've been using Java at work for 3.5 years now. In my opinion one of the best things about Java is that the JDK contains the fully commented source of the standard library.

While you can just use what works it's always interesting to see the inner workings :P
LIESard
Members
I've been using Java for a few years to learn game programming. I'm thinking about switching to C due to the problems that Java has but it's the language I know best. If I end up not switching then I'll learn LWJGL (I already know JSFML). Otherwise I'll learn SDL.
xero
Long time nixers
i know java. but almost never use it... now javascript, that's another story all together.
xnil
Members
Clojure here.
Sirikid
Registered
I'm learning Java, and I really enjoy it. Java is awesome.
mcrx
Registered
Groovy here :)