Howzit from South Africa! - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Cosmic Leaf
Members
Hi everyone! I'm Cosmic Leaf, from down south in the rainbow nation. I've been fiddling around with *nix OS's for about a year now but still have yet to settle on one. I program in C++ as a hobby (planning on turning it into a career when I'm out of school) and I'm very interested by the theory and structure behind operating systems.
I'm hoping to become quite an active member here (and finally get something set up)!
venam
Administrators
Hello Cosmic Leaf.
I'm so glad that you are bringing to Unixhub some of your shiny rainbow cosmic leafs.
Let's enjoy them together.
berk
Long time nixers
Welcome to Unix Hub, Cosmic Leaf.
nrmc.dubz
Long time nixers
Have a nice time here on UnixHub
SpongeboZZ; Bikini Bottom Mafia/
You're cock-sucker, bitch/ silence while godfathers speech/
yeah/ da plancton in muh blunt/ gangster squarepants witha gun/
Sponge iz the bozz in da buiz/ you're creating silly trash/
i'm creating hollywood shit/
Hans Hackett
Members
Well, your name got my attention :-)
Welcome aboard ! Cosmic Leaf
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Welcome Cosmic Leaf, enjoy your stay :)
jobss
Long time nixers
Hello there matey!
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
Cosmic Leaf
Members
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I just finished getting all my stuff onto an EXT4 partition and setting up Arch Linux! Yay! I'm gonna get a desktop set up tomorrow.
jobss
Long time nixers
(01-09-2013, 06:16 PM)Cosmic Leaf Wrote: Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I just finished getting all my stuff onto an EXT4 partition and setting up Arch Linux! Yay! I'm gonna get a desktop set up tomorrow.

I loved the simplicity of Arch, will you use KDE, GNOME, or something else?

Two of my personal favorites are KDE and E17 for there appearance, customization and speed. Although KDE can become quite bloated very quickly.
Cosmic Leaf
Members
(01-09-2013, 06:23 PM)jobss Wrote: I loved the simplicity of Arch, will you use KDE, GNOME, or something else?

Two of my personal favorites are KDE and E17 for there appearance, customization and speed. Although KDE can become quite bloated very quickly.

I've got evilwm set up at the moment but I'm still trying out various panels and applications. I've never tried KDE or E17, so I'll definitely give them a go. But I tend to prefer very minimal setups, so I'll probably end up using a standalone window manager over a full desktop environment.
venam
Administrators
(02-09-2013, 12:49 PM)Cosmic Leaf Wrote:
(01-09-2013, 06:23 PM)jobss Wrote: I loved the simplicity of Arch, will you use KDE, GNOME, or something else?

I've got evilwm set up at the moment but I'm still trying out various panels and applications. I've never tried KDE or E17, so I'll definitely give them a go. But I tend to prefer very minimal setups, so I'll probably end up using a standalone window manager over a full desktop environment.
Well said Cosmic Leaf!
I wouldn't dare mix up "simplicity of Arch", "KDE", and "E17" in the same sentence.
jobss
Long time nixers
(02-09-2013, 02:47 PM)venam Wrote:

Well said Cosmic Leaf!
I wouldn't dare mix up "simplicity of Arch", "KDE", and "E17" in the same sentence.

True, that's Ubuntu's job to mess up simplicity.
jobss
Long time nixers

I never got around to fully using tiling window managers, I'll get to used to it eventually but for me its still all about that E17 and KDE.

Don't forget to post a scrot of that gorgeous desktop!
zygotb
Long time nixers
Welcome to Unix Hub!

I suggest DWM for a tiling window manager. It took me awhile to get used to it, but now the UI just seems natural for me.
srp
Long time nixers
Welcome to UnixHub! :)
~Seraphim R.P.
the artistnixer formerly known as vypr formerly known as sticky