I'm buying a server rack, which system should I use to host? - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Robby
Long time nixers
I'm thinking FreeBSD but I'd like your opinions here. It'll be used for a number of things, private hosting from clients who want to pay me pocket money and I have plenty of friends who will pay me a fiver or so a month to keep their servers up on my system. I could also use it to store my own data that I'd like to store such as.. movies for example that I have pirated? Personal things I should think shall be kept within a jailed environment.

Please also state the specifications of the machine I should go for along with other ideas as to how it may benefit me.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
FreeBSD is awesome for servers.
gurhush
Long time nixers
Debian or FreeBSD.
zygotb
Long time nixers
FreeBSD.
Or maybe FreeNAS.
Someone doesn't appreciate my php generated image!
Robby
Long time nixers
I kinda knew I was going to use FreeBSD but I wanted to hear your opinions. I did think that the majority of you would recommend FreeBSD, but can any of you give me ideas on what to use the server for? I know a few things I'm going to do but obviously I'd like to maximize the capabilities.
Jayro
Long time nixers
Everything suggested so far is great from the admin point of view, however your users are going to be a little left out. If you plan on doing any serious hosting you should install cPanel/WHM on the system. This software is the industry standard for hosting environments. I work as a system administrator and as a technical support rep and trust me, it makes like easier and makes your customers happy. Commonly, these servers run Debian or CentOS with the cPanel/WHM software installed. Unfortunately, it is commercial software and you have to pay for a license.

You can also look into some opensource control panels that will also suit your needs, such as I-MSCP (this is the control panel I use on the server hosting unixhub.net) or Host-in-a-box.
Robby
Long time nixers
Yeah I don't think i'll be doing that, I'm not running a business. Just some server rents for cheap and the seedbox live.
Jayro
Long time nixers
(12-12-2012, 07:45 AM)Robby Wrote: Yeah I don't think i'll be doing that shit, I'm not running a business. Just some server rents for shit cheap and the seedbox live.

In that case, go with which ever Linux distrobution you feel comfortable with :)
Lith
Long time nixers
Everyone says here 'FreeBSD' but what about 'OpenBSD' if you're 'security mad' like i am lol...

Plus openbsd got an award some years back for being the 'most secured operating system' 'freeBSD wasn't even mentioned 0.o and Solaris was the last in the charts Linux was 2 but number 1... you guessed it 'OpenBSD'

But 'FreeBSD' is the oldest and the 'leader so to speak' out of all the BSD Distributions.

@Robby

If you want to make it as simple why don't you try n have a go at 'XAMPP'

it's all in one packages makes it hella easy for linux webservers etc and solaris (not sure if there is a bsd version tho.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html

@Jayro

Is there any software like Cpanel/WHM 'but free' ???