Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
jkl
Long time nixers
I haven’t been on efnet regularly for a decade. Good to know that it still exists. I already joined my ZNC to the freenode channel. :-)

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
ols
Members
Anyone else unable to connect to irc? I keep getting asked for a password and none of my other networks are doing this :'(
venam
Administrators
(29-05-2020, 07:53 AM)muggahtee Wrote: Anyone else unable to connect to irc? I keep getting asked for a password and none of my other networks are doing this :'(
Which IRC network are you referring to, nixers.net has no more any association with the previous network.
I updated the initial post with the new network information, we are on Freenode at #nixers_net.
ols
Members
Oh sorry venam, I must have missed that post. I noticed my connection to irc.nixers.net was no longer working and just came here, didn't know you'd moved to freenode!
seninha
Long time nixers
#nixers going out of unix.chat has something to do with this?
venam
Administrators
(30-05-2020, 12:11 AM)phillbush Wrote: #nixers going out of unix.chat has something to do with this?
Indeed, this is part of the reason, there was a misalignment in philosophy.
Please refer to the first post in this thread for the connection info and what we actually strive to have.
jkl
Long time nixers
Popcorn, anyone? Looks like freenode is a dead cow now as well:
https://www.kline.sh

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
venam
Administrators
(19-05-2021, 10:18 AM)jkl Wrote: Popcorn, anyone? Looks like freenode is a dead cow now as well:
https://www.kline.sh
No worries, it's easy to set IRC channels these days.
We got ourselves covered with #nixers registered on irc.libera.chat if anything happens to freenode. So it should be painless.
jkl
Long time nixers
Good idea. Let's see how this will end. After all, the previous freenode replacement (OFTC) is not quite alive anymore either.

--
stratex
Nixers
I don't like freenode for their policy of mandatory registration, at least it was true for 90% of the channels I tried to connect to, maybe it isn't freenode but channel OPs doing it? Some threw me to 'non-registered' channels instead. And also for a while most of Private Internet Access (VPN) IPs were banned (which is ironic considering that PIA was/is the official sponsor of freenode). It also kind of suck from centralization standpoint, yes you can register your own IRC server, but when majority of people are on freenode it makes it difficult to attract new users. And now this. Datamining and corporate interest, acquiring the last 'free' crums no one thought about picking-up yet...
venam
Administrators
NOTICE

We're transitioning to irc.libera.chat #nixers.
The freenode channel will stay up as backup, but the libera.chat channel will become the official one once the transition is fully in place.
ols
Members
Fresh start ayyyyy
pfr
Nixers
Sheeeeeeeeeeeit, coolcoolcool
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Maybe you have some bird ideas... Maybe that's the best you can do.” - Terry A. Davis (R.I.P Terry & Percival)
TheAnachron
Members
I support this change.
pfr
Nixers
As some of you know I was trying to connect a couple nights ago and wasn't able to connect on port 6667 and I'm not really sure why. Never the less I could connect on port 6697 but I wonder if it makes any difference at all if I just connect on port 6667 without verifying SSL?
Would this be possible, for example (on weechat):

/server add liberachat irc.libera.chat/6667 -sasl_fail=continue -ssl_varify=off -ssl -autoconnect
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Maybe you have some bird ideas... Maybe that's the best you can do.” - Terry A. Davis (R.I.P Terry & Percival)
TheAnachron
Members
Which IRC client are you using?
jkl
Long time nixers
Weechat, obviously.

--
venam
Administrators
NOTICE

We officially, though abruptly, officially transitioned to irc.libera.chat #nixers.
The previous channel has been "nuked" by the admin of Freenode. Update your IRC client and bouncer accordingly.
jkl
Long time nixers
What happened before the nuke?

--
seninha
Long time nixers
(26-05-2021, 10:05 AM)jkl Wrote: What happened before the nuke?
It seems that freenode is deleting channels mentioning libera.chat on the topic. From the ones I frequent, #openbsd, #scheme and #nixers_net got nuked.
jkl
Long time nixers
Sounds childish. Anyway, none of my channels are affected then. Good!

--
TheAnachron
Members