New to nixing. Hello! - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
dtch
Members
I've been running Arch + bspwm as my daily driver for over a year and was introduced to nixers by z3bra/z-brah.

I'm still learning a lot as far as writing bash scripts, learning about services, systemd, etc. I'm learning python2 and want to get my RHCSA and RHCE certs within the next few years.

I love customizing my desktop and usually change it about every other week. You can find my dotfiles here and see my current screenshot there as well.

Hope to enjoy my time here!
exp0sure
Long time nixers
Welcome to the forums, I am new here also, and have a lot to learn like you. Welcome!
--
Unix is user-friendly. It's just picky about who its friends are.
venam
Administrators
Hello glitch.
Have a nice time on the forums!
dtch
Members
Thank you both for the welcome. I heard there was a nixers IRC channel, but it says invite only. How can one be invited?

Also, venam, I can't seem to get 2bwm to work. I'm using the git version but whenever I try to use [Super + Enter], nothing happens. Any help on the matter would be very appreciated.
venam
Administrators
(05-11-2014, 08:51 AM)glitch Wrote: Thank you both for the welcome. I heard there was a nixers IRC channel, but it says invite only. How can one be invited?

Also, venam, I can't seem to get 2bwm to work. I'm using the git version but whenever I try to use [Super + Enter], nothing happens. Any help on the matter would be very appreciated.

Mod+enter binds to the default terminal in the config.h file, which is rxvt-unicode.
Do you have it installed?
If yes, make sure you recompiled and re-installed correctly the WM.
dtch
Members
venam:

It is installed. I love urxvt. For some reason, the new terminal command doesn't work. I can move the window, resize it, etc. but when I press Mod+Enter nothing happens.

Here is my .xinitrc: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=2u2DHQB9

If I don't use 'exec urxvt' then no windows show up at all. I deleted the folder, cloned the git, cd'd into it, ran 'make && sudo make install'. I mean, technically the wm works for me just can't open more than one window.

-- EDIT --

I don't know what happened but it's working now. To update the config.h, do I have to use `make && sudo make install` every time or is there another command?
xero
Long time nixers
welcome to nixers glitch.
venam
Administrators
(05-11-2014, 11:40 AM)glitch Wrote: venam:

It is installed. I love urxvt. For some reason, the new terminal command doesn't work. I can move the window, resize it, etc. but when I press Mod+Enter nothing happens.

Here is my .xinitrc: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=2u2DHQB9

If I don't use 'exec urxvt' then no windows show up at all. I deleted the folder, cloned the git, cd'd into it, ran 'make && sudo make install'. I mean, technically the wm works for me just can't open more than one window.

-- EDIT --

I don't know what happened but it's working now. To update the config.h, do I have to use `make && sudo make install` every time or is there another command?

Glad, it works! Yep, you need to recompile it.
dtch
Members
(06-11-2014, 04:12 AM)venam Wrote: Glad, it works! Yep, you need to recompile it.

I switched back to bspwm. I like the concept of 2bwm but I guess I just prefer tiling over floating.
kirby
Long time nixers
Bit late but welcome to the forums!
Mafia
Long time nixers
Welcome to das forums.
dtch
Members
Kirby, MAfia, Thanks.