Nixers Book Club - Review and next book #2 - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
seninha
Long time nixers
We concluded The UNIX-HATERS Handbook on our book club.
Phew, what a book, too much hate and rant.

What do you though of The UNIX-HATERS Handbook?
Does the criticisms still apply to this day? Which ones do and which ones do not?
What was your favorite chapter and the most funny part?

Let's also vote for the next book.
These are the candidates:
  • The Art of UNIX Programming.
  • Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment (a tough book, very terse, dense on information and also very long).
  • Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions Using Plan 9.
  • The Design of the UNIX Operating System.
  • The Wayland Book (this book is not complete yet, unfortunately).
If you have another recommendation, please comment.
venam
Administrators
(01-03-2021, 03:27 PM)phillbush Wrote: The Art of UNIX Programming.
This is pretty good, I read it a long time ago.

(01-03-2021, 03:27 PM)phillbush Wrote: The Wayland Book (this book is not complete yet, unfortunately).
I'm interesting in this one, simply because that would give me a reason to dive in the topic of wayland.
seninha
Long time nixers
I'm also interested on the Wayland book, we can read that for the next book club session.
I have no experience with Wayland though, so it may explain a lot of stuff to me.
movq
Long time nixers
I am very much interested in the Wayland book. With X.org slowly becoming abandonware, we’ll probably be forced to switch soon-ish, so I’d like to know what lies ahead. Also, well, X11 does have a lot of issues, so it’s going to be interesting to see how they’re being addressed.

Skimming over it, it seems pretty short, doesn’t it? Hmmm.
venam
Administrators
(11-03-2021, 04:40 PM)movq Wrote: Skimming over it, it seems pretty short, doesn’t it? Hmmm.
We could possibly complement it through our discussions of the chapters, which I hope is what will happen.