Nixers Podcast ideas and talks - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
Summary of what was said:

* Your key to the best workflow in 2 sentences

Most said that it was all about the quickness of access and manipulation of the desktop/most used program.
Ymbx raised an excellent point by saying that it was more about the Unix tools that facilitate how he uses commands (less, grep, sed, etc..). Which means his workflow is still the best on a Windows machine with mingw installed. I could also agree with that I would get a great workflow on windows if I could only use putty and ssh into my machine to work from there.

* You worst moment on a Unix system

Everyone's bad moment was about data loss. Some mis-used cp/mv and overwrote their precious music libs, some badly used dd, some repartitioned incorrectly and got corrupted filesystems.

Thanks all for joining, I'll try to do something about my horrible connection.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Looks like it was a really interresting discussion! Please let me apologize for not being here, as I was travelling abroad, and came back in France way later than what I expected. I'll try to be there for the next one.

Any ideas on next topic already?
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I have a few ideas for the next topics:
  • How do you backup your things?
  • Dealing with password and security
  • Monitoring/Debugging your system(s)
  • What's your current/latest project?
greduan
Long time nixers
I think also an "interesting things this week" section is a nice section to have.
Eduan / greduan
https://greduan.com
me@greduan.com
RoastPotatoes
Long time nixers
We can have weekly thoughts on Selena Gomez.
jmbi
Long time nixers
(04-05-2015, 08:12 PM)RoastPotatoes Wrote: We can have weekly thoughts on Selena Gomez.

True, lel. Less serious the better in my opinion, and we all know greduan has some thoughts about her.
venam
Administrators
(04-05-2015, 08:16 AM)z3bra Wrote: I have a few ideas for the next topics:
  • Dealing with password and security
  • Monitoring/Debugging your system(s)
I still didn't figure out a solution for my connection but I would go for the following 2 subjects:
greduan
Long time nixers
(04-05-2015, 10:10 PM)jmbi Wrote:
(04-05-2015, 08:12 PM)RoastPotatoes Wrote: We can have weekly thoughts on Selena Gomez.

True, lel. Less serious the better in my opinion, and we all know greduan has some thoughts about her.
My thoughts:

- Nothing.

Done.
Eduan / greduan
me@greduan.com
eye
Members
Sorry I couldn't make it. Was still waiting for my buddy. He ran for 46 km o.O
greduan
Long time nixers
I think two good topics would be:

- Interesting links of the week, everybody can share one link or none.
- What have you been working on recently?
Eduan / greduan
me@greduan.com
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Not fond of the link sharing thing. That's basically voiced reddit, and you can't prepare much the topic as you don't know what others are going to share. This podcast is meant to discuss/debate, not share imo.
(10-05-2015, 08:34 AM)z3bra Wrote: This podcast is meant to discuss/debate, not share imo.
I agree, but that does not mean that sharing wouldn't hurt here and there.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Sure, but that's not what I said. What I mean is that organizing a podcast around sharing links would be lame. But you can totally share links about the current topic (that what we did in the package management meetup for example).

May I propose a new subject, for next week's meetup?

Automation process
What is automatic on your setup?
What would you automate if you could?
venam
Administrators
No one showed up this week (except ymbx which I had a nice conversation with). The subject was probably too boring or everyone was busy.
I'll change the subject for this week and try to gather more people beforehand.
RoastPotatoes
Long time nixers
I would like to commit myself to next week.
kirby
Long time nixers
I meant to come along but I was really tired and I think I fell asleep. These are super enjoyable so I'd certainly like to continue.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Sooo.. there are less and less people showing up at the meetup every week. Maybe that's due to the time of the meetup. Is that too early? Would you guys be more likely to join if it was earlier/later or even scheduled on another day?

Why don't you join?
sulami
Members
(07-06-2015, 01:12 PM)z3bra Wrote: Sooo.. there are less and less people showing up at the meetup every week. Maybe that's due to the time of the meetup. Is that too early? Would you guys be more likely to join if it was earlier/later or even scheduled on another day?

Why don't you join?
I would generally like to join, but sunday evening is usually really bad for me, because I tend to be away on weekends and come back when the podcast is already over.
kirby
Long time nixers
I've just had exams and stuff and generally been pretty tired, the time is usually fine for me and I will try and make it.
cjm
Long time nixers
I concur, Sunday evening are usually bad for me. Its not for lack of interest though :)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Looks like the date of the meetup is a barrier for most people. When would you rather attend it?
venam
Administrators
I am ok with Sunday night (the current time one of two hours difference) and with Friday night at 8 or 9pm utc+3.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
For me, it'd be okay to do it during the week, at around 6pm UTC. I'm usually outside for the week-ends.
greduan
Long time nixers
An idea for a topic, task management. How do you do task managament? (If at all.)
Eduan / greduan
me@greduan.com
wervenyt
Members
It seems like around 1900 UTC might be a better time for people, to me at least. I could be wrong. Does anyone else have any other input on the time?
swathe
Members
I've had a bit of a hunt around so I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere, I'm in a bit of haze from painkillers for impacted wisdom teeth.

Have any of the episodes been recorded and if so are they hosted anywhere I can grab them and listen to them?

Thanks
venam
Administrators
(11-08-2015, 04:11 AM)swathe Wrote: Have any of the episodes been recorded and if so are they hosted anywhere I can grab them and listen to them?

The episodes are recorded but aren't hosted anywhere.
It's still in infant stage, I record them to be able to write the summary which you can find in this thread.
swathe
Members
(11-08-2015, 04:36 AM)venam Wrote:
(11-08-2015, 04:11 AM)swathe Wrote: Have any of the episodes been recorded and if so are they hosted anywhere I can grab them and listen to them?

The episodes are recorded but aren't hosted anywhere.
It's still in infant stage, I record them to be able to write the summary which you can find in this thread.

Ok thanks, I have been reading the summaries. I would still like to listen to them if the decision is ever made to release to the public.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
FYI, I recorded the last one: http://raw.z3bra.org/dev/random/meetup-2..._linux.ogg
It only proves that we all have shitty microphones :)
venam
Administrators
(11-08-2015, 07:23 AM)z3bra Wrote: FYI, I recorded the last one: http://raw.z3bra.org/dev/random/meetup-2..._linux.ogg
It only proves that we all have shitty microphones :)
That's why I prefer taking the time to write a summary. It also cleans up the random stuffs and gibberish we say.