Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
(07-04-2016, 02:22 AM)jmbi Wrote: I think each issue should have a general theme, so the slogan will vary with each issue and reflect the theme.

I don't think you've got what I meant by slogan.
Let's say "Mission Statement" instead.
Quote:A mission statement is a statement which is used as a way of communicating the purpose of the organization.
xero
Long time nixers
(07-04-2016, 02:22 AM)jmbi Wrote: I think we should call the magazine "/etc/motd." That would be sick.

i think that should be the name of the first section of the zine, where we overview things
jmbi
Long time nixers
(07-04-2016, 12:23 PM)xero Wrote:
(07-04-2016, 02:22 AM)jmbi Wrote: I think we should call the magazine "/etc/motd." That would be sick.

i think that should be the name of the first section of the zine, where we overview things

Ah, I thought it would be cool on the cover.
josuah
Long time nixers
For the mission statement, I suggest that we put everything that comes, as we will not be able to find it straight away.

So here is a very raw draft:

- "Hacking from user space": as a reference to plan9 from user space. But that will not be all about user space, so not that good. But I like the analogy of the magazine with a system. Some other idiom to start from: Unix in a nutshell. As opposed to academic approach: overview discoveries about UNIX.

- Some path, command, like /etc/motd. That could be combined with another thing, like "$ cat /etc/motd <mission statement>". Wildefyr did that on its blog and that looked good: http://wildefyr.net - printf '%s\n' "cool stuff and people"

- A sentence that describe it, as it stay simple and would give a good idea of what it is straight away: "Open source magazine for unix nerds" as in the titanpad. "The $HOME of all things UNIX". As on http://wildefyr.net about nixers.net: " Magazine for *nix lovers".

- A lots of expression to include, but i really know few, like greybeard, wizard...
venam
Administrators
You might be overcomplicating the mission statement, here are some:

"A magazine to bring Unix fun offline"
"Carry on paper what you've been doing online"
rocx
Members
(12-04-2016, 03:05 AM)sshbio Wrote: - A lots of expression to include, but i really know few, like greybeard, wizard...

"This tome is one of many to come that enlightens the reader with the lost and powerful knowledge of Unix, as well as reports of new findings within its ecosystem. Now here's a nickel, kid. You know what must be done next."
josuah
Long time nixers
(12-04-2016, 07:48 AM)rocx Wrote:
(12-04-2016, 03:05 AM)sshbio Wrote: - A lots of expression to include, but i really know few, like greybeard, wizard...

"This tome is one of many to come that enlightens the reader with the lost and powerful knowledge of Unix, as well as reports of new findings within its ecosystem. Now here's a nickel, kid. You know what must be done next."

Maybe a bit long for a mission statement, but we must add it somhere!

(12-04-2016, 06:38 AM)venam Wrote: You might be overcomplicating the mission statement, here are some:

"A magazine to bring Unix fun offline"
"Carry on paper what you've been doing online"

If we ever publish PDF, the word paper may be less suited. But now, papers is also a kind of publication, and this can remind that it is firstly made to be printed and distributed like so.
pranomostro
Long time nixers
'Now here's a nickel, kid' would be quite a good slogan IMHO.

But I'm just bikeshedding right now.