Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
LazarusIV
Members
o/ Greetings everyone! I stumbled across this forum, thankfully, and decided to sign up. I'm impressed with the open, community-oriented attitudes here and the helpful dispositions I've been seeing in every post.

I've been dabbling in Linux for a couple of years now, mainly Mint and a couple other *buntu types. I'm on the verge of switching my desktop over to Linux, still trying to figure out what distro to use. Maybe Kubuntu (since Ubuntu types are pretty stable and KDE is a nice DE), maybe Ubuntu Maté (which is on my laptop now), considering Manjaro. Still not sure, I mostly just game on my home computer so stability is the key.

In real life, I'm interested in technology (mostly computer hardware), physical fitness (when I have time), being outdoors when I can, reading (mostly sci-fi and fantasy / fiction, some history), travel, and gardening. I'm a statistical programmer with a Master's in Applied Statistics and I wish more than anything in the world my job used Linux. :D
josuah
Long time nixers
(24-10-2016, 04:10 PM)LazarusIV Wrote: Ubuntu Maté
e -> é French keyboard? :-P

Welcome here, I'm also impressed by how open is this open community.

Cesar promises bread and circuses, maybe Ubuntu brings packed drivers and stability.
Halfwit
Members
Nice to have you!
LazarusIV
Members
(24-10-2016, 04:35 PM)josuah Wrote:
(24-10-2016, 04:10 PM)LazarusIV Wrote: Ubuntu Maté
e -> é French keyboard? :-P

Welcome here, I'm also impressed by how open is this open community.

Cesar promises bread and circuses, maybe Ubuntu brings packed drivers and stability.

United States Keyboard coupled with a love of Alt + codes (é = Alt + 0233). I prefer to type things the correct way rather than leave room for misunderstanding. Also, I used them constantly during school. At one point I swore I had memorized the codes for the entire Greek alphabet...

I also might do some research / educational stuff with R on my home computer but that's not necessarily computationally intensive, at least not at the levels I'll be using it. Stability is important to me because I want my limited gaming time to be spent gaming rather than trouble-shooting problems. Also, my wife uses my desktop sometimes and I want to make it easy for her.

Right now no one is using the desktop since our basement is under construction... hopefully it'll be back online and ready for use in the next week or so. :)
pranomostro
Long time nixers
Yeah, stability is often a problem.

Hi, btw.
venam
Administrators
(24-10-2016, 04:10 PM)LazarusIV Wrote: I'm a statistical programmer with a Master's in Applied Statistics and I wish more than anything in the world my job used Linux. :D
Are we statistically discoverable?
I thought we were well hidden in the confine of the www.

Welcome to nixers.
mrtn
Members
(24-10-2016, 04:10 PM)LazarusIV Wrote: I wish more than anything in the world my job used Linux. :D

You're not alone...

Welcome and Have fun! ;)
LazarusIV
Members
Quote:Are we statistically discoverable?
I thought we were well hidden in the confine of the www.

Welcome to nixers.

I do believe the probability of me finding this website was miniscule, therefore me finding this bend in the series of tubes seems like a significant event... though I would need a larger sample size for any serious results.

Thanks for the welcome!
evbo
Members
Welcome!
(24-10-2016, 04:10 PM)LazarusIV Wrote: I wish more than anything in the world my job used Linux. :D

You and me both, been trying to remedy that myself.

Welcome!
LazarusIV
Members
(25-10-2016, 04:54 PM)evbo Wrote: Welcome!

You and me both, been trying to remedy that myself.

Welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Unfortunately, I doubt my job will ever move to open source, but a man can dream...