Old vi - Old school stuff

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
jkl
Long time nixers
I investigated when the flash option was added to vi. It was when System V entered the VAX. 1983.
Result: a new Vim patch…

https://github.com/vim/vim/pull/14778

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
r1w1s1
Members
I tried some many editors but still come back to vi/vim and today I use only vim for my work.
jkl
Long time nixers
That's unfortunate.
Odinn
Registered
Vim is outstanding!
(13-06-2024, 04:32 PM)r1w1s1 Wrote: I tried some many editors but still come back to vi/vim and today I use only vim for my work.
ckester
Nixers
I've been meaning to try vis for a few years now, because it supports Rob Pike's structured regular expressions, but haven't gotten around to it yet due to inertia. So I'm still using vim too.

I've also thought about neovim but am unsure whether the vimoutliner plugin will work with it. Does anyone know? It's old and probably obsolete but it's been a part of my workflow for almost as many years as I've been using vim.
jkl
Long time nixers
Wouldn't it make more sense to try sam instead?
ckester
Nixers
I tried sam a few years ago but only with the graphical UI -- which I didn't like. The command language, on the other hand, is lovely.
jkl
Long time nixers
Try sam without the GUI. It's basically ed on steroids - WITH Rob Pike's regex implementation. Granted, unlike vi(s/m), you'll need to print (with or without line numbers) your stuff more often than not, but you'll love it.

sam's GUI is a matter of taste. I understand why it does what it does, to say the least.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen