Preferred Terminal Emulator - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
What's everyone's preferred terminal emulator? I'm pretty confident the majority use urxvt, but I've been keeping an eye on st lately. is there any downside if I were to switch between them?

urxvt is what I have been using thus far anyway :3
◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈
https://neeasade.net
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I use urxvt, mainly because I can't get any other terminal to be efficient enough for me. Terminals are where I spend 90% of my time when I'm on a computer, so I jsut CAN'T cut it off... I've tried many terms so far, and urxvt has the best minimalism/efficiency rate.

I'll not even bother speaking about konsole, gnoem-term, satura, guake and such...

xterm: buggy as hell
termite: depends on VTE
evilvte : depends on VTE
st: no URL grabbing via keybinds
tinyterm: HOW THE HELL CAN YOU CLAIM TO BE TINY WHEN YOU RELY ON VTE ?!
demo.c: Well, a bit raw for me, and depends on VTE anyway

As you see, too much many terminals rely on the VTE lib (which is REALLY heavy). The only terms that don't use it are xterm, urxvt and st. And from those three, only urxvt fill my needs
xero
Long time nixers
i also use urxvt. it's very light weight, configurable via standard xresources/xdefaults files, and runs as a daemon service. i also use the urxvt-perls package for keyboard based copy/paste functions.
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
ah, I did not realize a downside to possibly using st would be the lack of url grabbing. I shall stick with urxvt then! Also your post prompted me to look up the size of VTE(!).

I was unaware of the urxvt-perls package, noice!
pvtmert
Members
using XTerm... happy with it... if you configure it nicely, it works...

these are mostly configured options:
scrollbar
blinking cursor
visible-bell
UTF8
colors...
berk
Long time nixers
I am using urxvt, with the urxvt-perls extension. It has saved me from learning dozens of keybindings, installing urlview, etc... I also use the daemon+client model to save some memory.
thetornainbow
Members
I love termite. The hints mode, much easier copy/paste, url grabbing are just smooth as butter. I used to go with urxvt but I got so annoyed at Shift+insert (on an old MBP so no insert key :S). Not to mention much much better font support.

Plus, hating on VTE's heaviness when using Perl to extend functionality is funny to me.
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers

I was taking a look at the man page for using the daemon version of urxvt, and it mentioned the possibility of crashing all of the windows when a terminal window crashed. Have you experienced any problems with this?
pvtmert
Members
probably something like crashing tmux will crash all of your sessions windows (in a session)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(08-09-2014, 03:57 PM)thetornainbow Wrote: Plus, hating on VTE's heaviness when using Perl to extend functionality is funny to me.

VTE is a dependency for your terminal emulator ONLY, while perl is used by many other softwares on your computer. When I installed urxvt, perl was already installed on my system, not VTE. Hence the heaviness feeling.
thetornainbow
Members

(08-09-2014, 07:29 PM)z3bra Wrote:
(08-09-2014, 03:57 PM)thetornainbow Wrote: Plus, hating on VTE's heaviness when using Perl to extend functionality is funny to me.

VTE is a dependency for your terminal emulator ONLY, while perl is used by many other softwares on your computer. When I installed urxvt, perl was already installed on my system, not VTE. Hence the heaviness feeling.

Just having a bit of fun. :)
berk
Long time nixers
(08-09-2014, 04:48 PM)neeasade Wrote:
(08-09-2014, 02:51 PM)berk Wrote:

I was taking a look at the man page for using the daemon version of urxvt, and it mentioned the possibility of crashing all of the windows when a terminal window crashed. Have you experienced any problems with this?

It has happened to me only once, a few months ago, on FreeBSD. And I've been using urxvt for 2 years. I was messing around with something and urxvtd crashed. Thankfully, there were nothing serious to save. Generally if I'm doing something sensitive, I do it within tmux.
xero
Long time nixers
(08-09-2014, 04:48 PM)neeasade Wrote: I was taking a look at the man page for using the daemon version of urxvt, and it mentioned the possibility of crashing all of the windows when a terminal window crashed. Have you experienced any problems with this?

nope. and it's been my go to term for years now. (since i switched from terminator - back in my #! days)
Foggalong
Members
At the moment terminator. Working in a non-tiling environment so it's nice to have it's inbuilt splitting.
earsplit
Members
(11-09-2014, 05:23 AM)Foggalong Wrote: At the moment terminator. Working in a non-tiling environment so it's nice to have it's inbuilt splitting.
Tmux ain't good enough for you?
Foggalong
Members
(12-09-2014, 01:34 PM)earsplit Wrote: Tmux ain't good enough for you?

Honestly never used it - for the most part I just used screen.
zer0rest
Members
Termite :)
bsdkeith
Long time nixers
Any VT for cli work, screen/tmux if I use a multiplexer. No great preference when working under a GUI. Having a familiar shell is more important.
URXVT is great, I also liked termite but it has some issues.
io86
Members
urxvt. As for multiplexers, I switched from screen to tmux a while ago and I'm quite pleased.
greduan
Long time nixers
I use urxvt ATM, though I used to use st for a long long while. But I don't like how I have to apply patches and stuff just to get scrollback support (for example). The Suckless guys are great but sometimes a bit dumb about their features.

Also I was having trouble with bitmap fonts. For some reason spaces weren't respected in ncurses apps. So alsamixer would be all wonky looking. Other guys in Nixers also had trouble with that.
Eduan / greduan
https://greduan.com
me@greduan.com
cjm
Long time nixers
Alittle old but what the hell I use Sakura myself.
----
blog: c-jm.github.io
twitter: https://www.twitter.com/_c_jm
My ambition in life is to be a graybeard by the time I am 65.
----
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Sakura only? isn't that a bit painfull to deal with multiple outputs or separate tasks?
cjm
Long time nixers
True enough. I mean to be honest I switched because of vanity and laziness. Urxvt didnt seem to want to support my vim solarized colour scheme. I didnt want to use a DE based terminal so I switched to Sakura.
----
blog: c-jm.github.io
twitter: https://www.twitter.com/_c_jm
My ambition in life is to be a graybeard by the time I am 65.
----
jobss
Long time nixers
Trying out mlterm, it is 1.6 meg lighter ( ram wise ) then xterm. And it supports a whole bunch of languages out of the box which is cool.