Problem with X11 and XORG - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
lolimsoasd
Members
I inst alled arch on my netbook, after installing X11 and Xorg, I sttart the x server and:

[Image: 9213718.jpg]

only a little white shell box opens, I can see mouse as well. Typing "exit" into the shell terminates X.

Is this a problem, or just the fact that I haven't installed any desktop environment yet (Gnome, KDE etc..?)
deadgone
Long time nixers
This is not a problem.

It's just using the default wm(TWM I think.)

Install a windows manager that you like and then add it to your .xinitrc.

and then type startx.
lolimsoasd
Members
Which one do you prefer?

I've only used KDE and Gnome, I liked KDE better. But is there even some better one? :)
deadgone
Long time nixers
Well. I don't use a desktop environment. I just use a plain old wm.

I currently use dwm.

Here is the arch wiki's page about it: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dwm
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
looks like only an xterm is opened. install whatever wm/de you like and add it to .xinitrc ;)
pac
Members
If you really want DE installed then I believe xfce is the most lightweight out there. If you want something more faster and ever more lighter, then consider using window manager.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
fvwm is lighter than xfce ;)
pac
Members
(04-09-2012, 03:48 PM)Beastie Wrote: fvwm is lighter than xfce ;)
I must confess, it does look great. But isn't fvwm a wm? If it is, no wonder why it's lighter than xfce. :)
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Fvwm is a desktop environment with a crapton of features.
lolimsoasd
Members
Installed fluxbox. Now writing this post from the netbook!

Wow linux is great. Never found it out by using stupid distros like ubuntu....
Phyrne
Long time nixers
(05-09-2012, 03:36 AM)lolimsoasd Wrote: Installed fluxbox. Now writing this post from the netbook!

Glad to hear you've got it set up how you want :) If you're planning on using Arch for a while, you'll want to read through the relevant wiki pages for what you desire. Learning your system fully is the best way to handle/manage it.
lolimsoasd
Members
(05-09-2012, 08:32 AM)Phyrne Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 03:36 AM)lolimsoasd Wrote: Installed fluxbox. Now writing this post from the netbook!

Glad to hear you've got it set up how you want :) If you're planning on using Arch for a while, you'll want to read through the relevant wiki pages for what you desire. Learning your system fully is the best way to handle/manage it.

Yeah I've been reading it and wow - it's huge :D so much information in it. I think I'll stick with this. Just need to make some font changes and change the theme of fluxbox ! :)
deadgone
Long time nixers
(05-09-2012, 09:40 AM)lolimsoasd Wrote:

Yeah I've been reading it and wow - it's huge :D so much information in it. I think I'll stick with this. Just need to make some font changes and change the theme of fluxbox ! :)

Oh btw, speaking of fonts, you should also check out the terminus font.
lolimsoasd
Members
(05-09-2012, 10:15 AM)TheShadowFog Wrote:

The link you posted doesn't work... But i'll google it!
deadgone
Long time nixers
(07-09-2012, 03:17 AM)lolimsoasd Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 10:15 AM)TheShadowFog Wrote:

The link you posted doesn't work... But i'll google it!

Oops. Try this:

http://www.archlinux.org/packages/commun...minus-font

You can also just:

Code:
sudo pacman -S terminus-font