[SOLVED] Fonts in some applications messed up ..[SOLVED] - GNU/Linux

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
CrossFold
Long time nixers
First thread of mine and its not going to be a tutorial ( I know its bad but I couldn't find any working solution )
Anyway to the point, some applications like libreoffice, VLC, skype, dwb,xombrero etc which depend on the system fonts are messed up..

I'll just post a screenshot so you guys know what exactly I mean by saying messed up ..
[Image: y7Wl4.png]

Things I already tried
1. Changing font .. Obviously
2. Tried to see if its only for my Xfce or same for all the WMs and DEs installed... Turns out its the same everywhere
3. Tried to change fonts on that specific application.

Weird thing is, the font is still english and not any other language.. Don't know how the characters got messed up..
Shiru
Members
I think it's a normal font, it's just Greek characters.

Maybe try changing the font in your .gtkrc file?

Code:
style "font"
{
font_name = "Corbel 8"
}
widget_class "*" style "font"
gtk-font-name = "Corbel 8"
venam
Administrators
I don't really see what is wrong with the fonts...
Times New Roman is proprietary and almost all windows vista and 7 fonts are proprietary so don't be surprised if a proprietary software like skype (owned by M) have bad fonts.
Anyway you can still download a `replacement` for times new roman, which I think is really really badly rendered in GNU/Linux or BSD.
On the other hand, tons of fonts are really cute and you can try them. (I personally use arial if you want to know)
Moreover, You can check antialiassing and other of those kinds of render options.
Let's just say that *nix have some problems with fonts and it's because we are invaded by windows.
CrossFold
Long time nixers
(27-08-2012, 11:28 AM)Shiru Wrote: I think it's a normal font, it's just Greek characters.

Maybe try changing the font in your .gtkrc file?

Code:
style "font"
{
font_name = "Corbel 8"
}
widget_class "*" style "font"
gtk-font-name = "Corbel 8"

Thanks shiru :) This solved it .. I think the updates were broken (as usual) which changed the gtkrc file..

(27-08-2012, 11:31 AM)venam Wrote: I don't really see what is wrong with the fonts...
Times New Roman is proprietary and almost all windows vista and 7 fonts are proprietary so don't be surprised if a proprietary software like skype (owned by M) have bad fonts.
Anyway you can still download a `replacement` for times new roman, which I think is really really badly rendered in GNU/Linux or BSD.
On the other hand, tons of fonts are really cute and you can try them. (I personally use arial if you want to know)
Moreover, You can check antialiassing and other of those kinds of render options.
Let's just say that *nix have some problems with fonts and it's because we are invaded by windows.

Thanks for replying venam.. :) ... It was kinda my fault that I forgot to look up the gtkrc file.. Probably updates changed stuff in there..
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Update your title as solved ;)