The Gemini protocol - The WWW

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
bouncepaw
Members
I just thought that a topic about this protocol must exist on this forum.

According to the Gemini FAQ (https://gemini.circumlunar.space/docs/faq.html),

Quote:Gemini is a new application-level internet protocol for the distribution of arbitrary files, with some special consideration for serving a lightweight hypertext format which facilitates linking between files. You may think of Gemini as "the web, stripped right back to its essence" or as "Gopher, souped up and modernised a little", depending upon your perspective. Gemini may be of interest to people who are:
  • Opposed to the web's ubiquitous user tracking
  • Tired of obnoxious adverts, autoplaying videos and other misfeatures
  • Interested in low-power computing and/or low-speed networks
    Gemini is intended to be simple, but not necessarily as simple as possible. Instead, the design strives to maximise its "power to weight ratio", while keeping its weight within acceptable limits. Gemini is also intended to be very privacy conscious, to be difficult to extend in the future (so that it will stay simple and privacy conscious), and to be compatible with a "do it yourself" computing ethos. For this last reason, Gemini is technically very familiar and conservative: it's a protocol in the traditional client-server request-response paradigm, and is built on mature, standardised technology like URIs, MIME media types, and TLS.

Read the FAQ or the spec (https://gemini.circumlunar.space/docs/sp...ation.html) for more info. The protocol is quite elegant and is small enough to be understood fully by one person.

One of the features I absolutely love is Gemini's native markup language, gemtext or text/gemini. Here are all elements of the language:
Code:
# heading 1
## heading 2
### heading 3
=> link
* list item
> quote
paragraph

```
preformatted
```

That's all! No images. Links are on their own lines. Only 3 levels of headings. No emphasis.

If you are interested, you may start with a web-proxy for gemini. If you want to install a proper client, choose one of the listed ones in the faq. I use amfora.

Some sites I'd recommend:
There is a lot more sites there and you can make your own!
gmk
Long time nixers
I have heard some buzz about this recently!

I am thinking about renting a server soon, and I most definitely will look into setting up a gemini server.
Writing a browser for this protocol could also be a very interesting project!
venam
Administrators
So is this meant as a simpler replacement of file sharing for IoT, M2M, and low-power devices?
bouncepaw
Members
Quote:I have heard some buzz about this recently!

I am thinking about renting a server soon, and I most definitely will look into setting up a gemini server.
Writing a browser for this protocol could also be a very interesting project!
Good luck! By the way, some gemini communities offer free hosting for static sites.

Quote:So is this meant as a simpler replacement of file sharing for IoT, M2M, and low-power devices?
Not exactly. It is not meant to be a replacement of anything, it's just a protocol for people who want to read&write mostly textual content and miss old web's or gopher's aesthetics (in fact, solderpunk, the creator of gemini, used to be a gopher enthusiast). However, it can be used as a file sharing protocol for sure.
jkl
Long time nixers
Looks like a shitty Gopher+.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(06-08-2020, 02:23 PM)jkl Wrote: Looks like a shitty Gopher+.

Looks like Gopher+. Which is already shitty. ☺
zge
Long time nixers
(05-08-2020, 02:29 PM)bouncepaw Wrote: No images.

That's a pity, non-inline images can be quite useful, even if they aren't automatically loaded. The limitation was added for TUI/CLI people...
bouncepaw
Members
Quote:That's a pity, non-inline images can be quite useful, even if they aren't automatically loaded. The limitation was added for TUI/CLI people...

Not quite right. There are no inline images in gemini markup, but gemini itself can serve any file. Including images! It's quite common to link images
jkl
Long time nixers
(06-08-2020, 06:12 PM)z3bra Wrote: Looks like Gopher+. Which is already shitty. ☺

Gopher+ has better multimedia support.
twee
Members
Quote:It's quite common to link images

Are there any clients which display links to images within the document?

So if I had something like

Code:
Look at my house:

=> http:link.to/an/image-of-my-house.png

That link would be replaced with the image itself?
bouncepaw
Members
Quote:Are there any clients which display links to images within the document?

Afaik only https://proxy.vulpes.one/gemini/gemini.c...unar.space does it. It's a web proxy for gopher and gemini but you can consider it as a client.

Perhaps there are other clients that support this.