Those "new" $33 Kindle Tablets - Android & Iphone

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
hades
Long time nixers
I bought that ultra-cheap Kindle Fire tablet a while back and flashed AOSP on it.

Holy shit. This thing is actually alright once you flash AOSP. Did y'all know Amazon was putting ads on the lockscreen of this tablet? Flashing AOSP gets rid of that, of course, but...

So yeah, on top of AOSP, I'm running an adblocker, SuperSu, and almost always playing music in the background, and this Tablet works great. It was sluggish before flashing.

What's your cheapest Android Device, and how does it do?
hades
Long time nixers
I now use it as my work tablet. Pretty good for keeping up with to-do lists and taking notes and stuff. Small non-HD screen makes it unappealing for watching TV on and games and such.
0wl3x
Members
Have you riced it all? I am really interested in getting a top shelf android smartphone in the near future and really going crazy with the ricing but I don't want to break it. I'd like a cheap testing platform so I can learn what I'm doing first.

Also, how is the screen? Would you consider using it as an e-reader?
hades
Long time nixers
No real rice, just nova launcher, an icon pack, and a wallpaper. This tab would be great for testing your rice once you put stock android on it.
The screen isnt HD, but I do watch netflix on it anyways. I've never been picky about resolutions.
0wl3x
Members
(04-01-2017, 10:06 PM)hades Wrote: No real rice, just nova launcher, an icon pack, and a wallpaper. This tab would be great for testing your rice once you put stock android on it.
The screen isnt HD, but I do watch netflix on it anyways. I've never been picky about resolutions.

I see. Definitely sounds like a device I'd like to play around with. If I get one I'll start a thread about playing around with it and customizing it.
hades
Long time nixers
Update: Got this tablet out of storage the other day and reimaged it. It's now my e-reader for college. Still works like a champ.

Right now, I'm testing out some concepts on it:

- no Gapps. No Google Play services. No Google on the device whatsoever

- using lineageOS's "Privacy Guard" to monitor app permissions, and actually giving a damn about what permissions apps get. I made it so that every time Firefox wants permissions to access my microphone, it pops up and asks me. I've noticed that anytime you visit facebook.com in firefox, it asks for microphone access. That's a huge NOPE.

- Using Yalp and F-droid to download and maintain/update all apps

So far, it's going pretty good. I have a google=free tablet that's running mostly open-source software - the only closed-source thing on here is a GBA emulator, which I've given minimal permissions.
Dritz
Long time nixers
I recently revived my old 2012 Nexus 7 tablet. I'm running LineageOS with no gapps as well. It runs as well as when I purchased it, besides the now lackluster battery life. (expected)

I'm using Aptoide for apps as of now. I suppose I'll look into using Yalp as well.
Tmplt
Long time nixers
(30-11-2016, 10:51 AM)hades Wrote: What's your cheapest Android Device, and how does it do?

The cheapest Android device I have is my phone, an a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. Have flashed it multiple times with LineageOS to attempt a device encryption, but previous versions of the ROM thought the device was encrypted already (it wasn't). Some months ago I screwed something up and broke whatever made 3/4G work; it's probably time for another flash.