Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
Hello nixers,
I've got myself to put the research about "Time on Unix" together. It's the culmination of the series we've had in the newsletter called "Keeping time and date".

The research has got me down a rabbit hole, so brace yourself for a more or less complete overview of all that you need to know about time on Unix.

I couldn't post it on the forums because of the size of the article, so here it is:

Link to the Time on Unix article.
ols
Members
Saw this posted on HN earlier, nice article
jkl
Long time nixers
Quote:Where do we usually find time on Unix

One could say that you'll never find time on Unix ... :-)

Quote:and the system load average for the last 1, 5, and 15 minutes (Though those values aren’t good metrics, see Brendan Gregg’s blog).

That's why the successor to Unix has dropped those.

Quote:Namely, init systems and service managers have tried to re-implement cron their own way and integrate timers as a type of service. Centralizing the management of timers along with services.

Which makes the behavior of "not-cronjobs" unpredictable and non-portable, which is a horrible idea.

A good article though, although it's quite Linux-centric this time, pointing a finger at its title.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
venam
Administrators
(07-05-2020, 07:40 AM)jkl Wrote: That's why the successor to Unix has dropped those.
I agree, those are too misleading to keep. There are better tools for this right now.

(07-05-2020, 07:40 AM)jkl Wrote: Which makes the behavior of "not-cronjobs" unpredictable and non-portable, which is a horrible idea.
I definitely agree on this one too. I was using the word "cron" simply as a transition word to the same concept of "timer that execute a command".

Thank you for your feedback, always appreciated.
movq
Long time nixers
What a massive article. Saved it to disk for later reference. :-) There's a lot to learn ... thank you!
venam
Administrators
(09-05-2020, 07:18 AM)vain Wrote: What a massive article. Saved it to disk for later reference.

(09-05-2020, 07:18 AM)vain Wrote: thank you!
I appreciate it.

I'm quoting one of your articles as reference: This one about daylight saving time and the EU decision to remove it. It was very informative, so thank you for that.
wolf
Members
Great article, Venam.

And share it is the right thing to do. <done>.