Unix Hub Forum Mafia - Game 1 - Sign Up Thread - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
kirby
Long time nixers
Members of Unix Hub, I present to you the sign up thread for the first, but hopefully not the last, game of forum mafia.

What is Forum Mafia?
Quote:In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia.

At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases, the first of which is Day. During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it becomes Night.

During the Night, the thread is locked and no one can talk publicly. The Mafia, however, can speak to each other privately to plot strategy and decide who to murder before the next Day begins. In this way, they can silence members of the Town who are threats to them. At the end of the Night, the murder is carried out and another Day begins. In effect, the Town gets to kill someone, and then the Mafia gets to kill someone.

The game alternates between Day and Night until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else (or nothing can prevent the same).

For the moment we will play with just these rules to see how it goes, more complex rules such as roles can be added in future games when the community is larger.

I personally would love to see this go ahead, I've seen it done before and it all seems like good fun. There are, however, some issues that need ironing out before we can begin:

1) Who will be mod?
The mod needs to be someone with the power to lock threads, and be able to do so at the correct time. They must also be impartial and unbaised.
EDIT: NeoTerra has offered to be mod.

2) How long will a day and night be?
With members all over the world, it won't be any good to have the difference too short, otherwise some members might never be able to get properly involved. Too long, however, and the game is too dull.
EDIT: Please post times you can be active and your timezone.

3) How will the Mafia communicate?
PMs sounds fine to me but if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to mention it.

Those are the only issues I can think of for the minute, so if you want to be a part of it just pop a reply into this here thread. The game will start once these are all sorted, we have enough sign ups and we can agree on a time to start.

Have fun!

NeoTerra (MOD - 4pm-3am UTC)
1) kirby (10am-10pm UTC)
2) yrmt (9am-9pm UTC)
3) theconjuring (1am-1pm UTC)
3) dbcooper
4) Android16
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
I'm in!
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
From 11am to 11pm CEST time.
berk
Long time nixers
Count me in, able to play between 4pm - 4am EEST. (i know, pretty fked up sleep schedule)
venam
Administrators
Is it like the rabbit game from doubt?
>Doubt revolves around a fictional cell phone game called "Rabbit Doubt", in which the players are rabbits in a colony; one of these players is randomly chosen to act as a wolf infiltrating the group. Each round, the rabbits guess which is the wolf as the rabbits are eaten one-by-one until only the wolf is left.
[wikipedia](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubt_(manga))
Mafia
Long time nixers
I think my name causes too much suspicion.
kirby
Long time nixers
Gah, posts got lost in the transition. Who was it that could/couldn't play again?
hades
Long time nixers
I can play. I don't really remember who else said they could play.
berk
Long time nixers
(24-07-2013, 05:22 PM)kirby Wrote: Gah, posts got lost in the transition. Who was it that could/couldn't play again?
Me
Android16
Members
My account got deleted (Android16). I still want to play.
I've requested my name be changed again so don't get confused.