Usability of the forum/design - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
ne0phyte
Members
Hey,

as much as I appreciate the minimalistic design, but in my opinion there are some major usability problems.

\[Code\] tags
- fixed height, no expand button
- 0 margin-top/-bottom (readability of text before/after isn't great)
- no syntax highlighting

Posting
- no preview button before posting a reply (?!)

General
- pagination only at the bottom
- big images aren't scaled but break the layout
- a lot of space wasted on the left and right
`--> imo the whole space should be used below a certain window width
- no thread title in the thread (just in the <title>)

Minimalism at the expense of common core features isn't cool. I could probably fix most of this with some userscripts but these problems don't make the site very nice to browse :/
Especially the broken code tags make it a pita to read or copy posted codes.

Maybe I overlooked something and those problems are on my side? If I somehow missed something please tell me :P
venam
Administrators
I won't comment the rest of your post because I don't agree with some of the things you've mentioned but I'll just say that preview-image/thumbnails would be great.
crshd
Registered
I agree with most of the stuff, actually. No pagination links at the top has been driving me nuts for a while now.

Also it'd be nice to have the thread title somewhere else than just the <title> tag.
ne0phyte
Members
Ah, right. I missed that and added it to the OP.
trgc
Members
I second the title and page parts. The rest of the minimalism I appreciate for the most part.
Klan9 > Plan9! (H0pe)
Klan9foLyfe
It's funny that this thread is here because there is a revamp of the forum style in the works. By all means, keep up the suggestions! Jayro and I are putting some things together.
ne0phyte
Members
I just happen to tell if something bothers me. No matter what the context.
Why did you remove the above-mentioned elements in the first place? Minimalism doesn't have to mean the lack of functionality.
(18-10-2013, 10:08 AM)ne0phyte Wrote: I just happen to tell if something bothers me. No matter what the context.
Why did you remove the above-mentioned elements in the first place? Minimalism doesn't have to mean the lack of functionality.

I don't want to answer that question because it leads to finger pointing, which isn't really conducive to change. Either way were are aware of the shortcomings of the website and are in the process of fixing it.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
It's my fault but I have no regrets.
trgc
Members
Minimalism4lyfe
Klan9 > Plan9! (H0pe)
Klan9foLyfe
jobss
Long time nixers
Don't change to much, I like the colors and the layout.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
The new number-chooser forbids post editing. If performing a quick or full edit of a post, the numbers are not shown, but it seems to be required, making the edit impossible
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
That's cool, thanks
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER