Poll: I use ...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
... the right editor for the right job. 9 26.47%
... my favorite editor for everything. 20 58.82%
M-x butterfly! 5 14.71%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Using different editors for configuration and actual development... - Programming On Unix

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
A captivating thread about a questioning our daily habits, the kind of questions I love to ask. Why do we do things a certain way, should we keep doing them like that?

These days I also do use different text editors for different scenarios. I often find myself opening geany or gedit when working on speeches and talks. I use vim for configuration files, scripting languages, and C. While for other things I might find myself in an IDE or even in the browser.
What about you?
jkl
Long time nixers
I haven’t changed my habits that much in the past three years, except that I narrowed my installed set of editors - still, I use different editors for code, notes and system-related stuff, but I don’t shuffle through them every week anymore. Ah, the feeling of becoming old...

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
freem
Nixers
I tend to use a vanilla vim for everything related to tech stuff. Vanially vim allows me to keep being used to not having too much features, and I'll be fine even with busybox's vi, which... can help, on some systems.

For mails, I use claws's integrated editor, which... well, does not have any advanced feature, AFAIK.

And, recently (few days ago) I reinstalled zim (https://zim-wiki.org) on my system, because vim is not suited to write notes, and zim feels better on that point. There are still problems here, as I find it not easy to navigate between notes, but maybe I just forgot how that works.
I tried very quickly QOwnNotes, but I feel this will be a mess, and was shocked by the memory usage, Cherrytree seems interesting too, for that, but requires a too recent glibmm version (for my lovely debian), so I need to find a commit which does not requires that.