Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
ErHong
Members
In the development section of the site, there s a Go and C subcategory. Obviously, this category is for general purpose, structured programming languages, and given Go's recent appearance on the development horizon, I am curious as to why Rust isn't listed.

Personally, I have little preference (scripting and markup is my forté anyway!), so I was hoping someone a bit more experienced in structured programming development could explain to me why the forum decided not to include Rust in the category title. Is there a lack of support? Not enough community members involved in Rust development?
venam
Administrators
At the moment the development section of the forums isn't the most active one.
There's no need to add new sections. If you have something interesting to post which is related to Unix then do it in another section and we'll move the threads later.
nounoursheureux
Members
I think they just don't want to include every programming language that serves the same purpose as C/C++/Go. You could also ask "Why not D". I don't think the mods have anyhing against Rust :P
Edit: too late :P
ErHong
Members
Cool. Just wondering if there was a more purposeful reason behind the decision :)
xnil
Members
As an avid Rust user and a contributor to rust-lang, I would welcome replacing the non-systems language Go with Rust.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
maybe there is juat not enough rust users to have a dedicated section
LIESard
Members
Seeing as Go, C and C++ are together, why not just rename the category to add Rust? They basically have the same purpose anyway
hades
Long time nixers
A better idea would be to give a more general name such as "Systems Languages" and then put "C, C++, Rust, etc" in parentheses.
ErHong
Members
(24-03-2015, 10:05 AM)dbcooper Wrote: A better idea would be to give a more general name such as "Systems Languages" and then put "C, C++, Rust, etc" in parentheses.

I think that's the best way to go, too.
xnil
Members
(24-03-2015, 10:05 AM)dbcooper Wrote: A better idea would be to give a more general name such as "Systems Languages" and then put "C, C++, Rust, etc" in parentheses.
+1
chc4
Members
Go isn't a systems language though ;D
There isn't really enough traffic to warrent keeping programming languages segmented so much. Just a giant "Programming" section, or maybe one for "Scripting Languages" and one for "Programming Languages"?
jobss
Long time nixers
Rust can also have another Home, under the Desktop Customization Scrot section, some guy created a tiling window manager from the Rust language, it's available from github.

https://github.com/Kintaro/wtftw
chc4
Members
Shameless advertising: I'm also writing a WM in Rust myself, just as a fun sideproject though unlike wtftw. Here is the repo if you want to check it out.

That being said, I don't think that WMs should have individual sections in Desktop Customization. There really isn't enough traffic on this forum to warrent splinting the already slow master section for that.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Definitely not. having thousands of threads will only bring thousands more dusty threads. Same goes for prog languages or text editors or whatever.