Why so inactive? - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
CrossFold
Long time nixers
The forum desgin, the content, the members everything is great.. But then why is the forum so inactive? Feels like it is abandoned..
TheHotBot
Long time nixers
I try to read everything everyday, but i also trying to keep my job.
Dont got all that spare time.

That is my explanation :)
"TheHotBot" Aka NeverW8!

I can be seen on the IRC from time to time :)
Mafia
Long time nixers
Not enough traffic.
venam
Administrators
Maybe it's because we don't have a beginner section (which we will obviously vote "NO" for).
Remember we are in the 6-7% of the population using another OS then windows/OSX [source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_sha...ng_systems]
Also we are in the 30-40% of those 7% that actually know how to use their system, which give us a statistic of 2-3% of the average internet user.

Anyway, it's also because we don't really know what to post or contribute with. (I've been giving up source codes that I've written but don't know what other thing I can write about.).
In a nutshell, it would be more simple if we can simply share daily experiences and problems we had (and some conversations we had on the IRC)
TheHotBot
Long time nixers
(28-11-2012, 07:15 AM)venam Wrote: it would be more simple if we can simply share daily experiences and problems we had (and some conversations we had on the IRC)

That sounds good! :)
"TheHotBot" Aka NeverW8!

I can be seen on the IRC from time to time :)
Dritz
Long time nixers
We're all busy little boys; that's why it's inactive.
"Willful ignorance is a crime"
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
I have lots of things going on but I try to go on the IRC everyday. I think people should request threads here to increase activity :)
Dritz
Long time nixers
Splendid idea! If only I had time for a project...

I can hardly wait for winter break! (I might be rolling out at least a prototype of something relatively interesting that I'll post here.)

@ NeoTerra

That's right; school. That's what I'm dealing with. Must.. work... FASTER!!
venam
Administrators
OK, so we can ,for example, instead of doing a beginner section, doing a request tutorial thread and beginner who wants to know something ask a tut about it, this would resolve 2 things at the same time: inactivity and new users/new trafic .
Dritz
Long time nixers
That sounds like it could get out of hand. I have the feeling I would end up seeing a 'TrackBlack' tutorial request. :shudder:

There, I posted a new thread. I hope that helps.
venam
Administrators
Also, the thing is that sometime most of the problem are distro related, I mean by that that it's supposed to be asked on the specific distro forum.
Thus a general purpose *nix forum will not be the host for such questions.
CrossFold
Long time nixers
These are some great ideas !
And now I agree upon why these forums are inactive.. Probably because only a handful of people have the idea of what's posted here as its quite more higher in level than other "Linux" things posted on the internet.. Anyway, just adding my opinion, we can post our solutions over here(How we solved some problem we faced) so the forum doesn't totally go dead and keep up with the IRC ..
gurhush
Long time nixers
I think that it will improve as the forum ages and gets new members. At this point I'd rather have all quality posts (like we have) and this amount of activity. A lot of the time I find myself wishing these forums had more activity, though.
Revcore
Members
I'm not actually sure why I haven't been on. Miss the community.
Robby
Long time nixers
(28-11-2012, 01:32 AM)CrossFold Wrote: The forum desgin, the content, the members everything is great.. But then why is the forum so inactive? Feels like it is abandoned..

I have college and a girlfriend and I'm slowly loosing interest in *nix however I'll still use it to the day I'll die over anything else. I'm going to buy a server rack soon and pop FreeBSD on there.
gurhush
Long time nixers
(08-12-2012, 03:10 PM)NeoTerra Wrote: Don't worry folks, November/December is the busiest time of the year for anyone our age.

We will certainly see a large influx of activity soon.

I can't wait.
CrossFold
Long time nixers
(07-12-2012, 05:26 PM)Robby Wrote:
(28-11-2012, 01:32 AM)CrossFold Wrote: The forum desgin, the content, the members everything is great.. But then why is the forum so inactive? Feels like it is abandoned..

I have college and a girlfriend and I'm slowly loosing interest in *nix however I'll still use it to the day I'll die over anything else. I'm going to buy a server rack soon and pop FreeBSD on there.

Loosing interest in *nix ? If you start loosing interest in *nix + you don't like windows & mac = I am sure you might start with making your own OS :D
Dritz
Long time nixers
Loosing interest in *nix? That's like saying you're loosing interest in sex.

It does, indeed, pull you back in... :P
Robby
Long time nixers
(14-12-2012, 03:11 PM)NeoTerra Wrote: He won't lose interest, it always pulls you back in.

It's Ironic, I'm back on FreeBSD and back into C as well.
Lith
Long time nixers
Rob, you learning 'C' because you're study or just want to know 'C' have you got the Book 'The C Programming Language' ?

How old are you btw (if ya don't mind) and how long you been at 'C' ? what about C++ ?

im learning HTML/XHTML (did try C++ years back but gave me a headache lol...)

What programs you got on ya system to 'code' in 'C' ???
Robby
Long time nixers
(24-12-2012, 12:41 PM)Lith Wrote: Rob, you learning 'C' because you're study or just want to know 'C' have you got the Book 'The C Programming Language' ?

How old are you btw (if ya don't mind) and how long you been at 'C' ? what about C++ ?

im learning HTML/XHTML (did try C++ years back but gave me a headache lol...)

What programs you got on ya system to 'code' in 'C' ???

Just want to know C, yes I've got the physical copy of that book. I'm seventeen and eighteen in March. It's on and off at the moment but I'm definitely progressing, I don't have too much spare time. I use vim with numbered lines and syntax colouring in the vimrc config for writing C and the gcc compiler to compile it. I have a directory labelled "C" in my home directory which is where all my C work, examples, source and compiled executables go.
CrossFold
Long time nixers
C is indeed a great language :D I am quite comfortable with C++ as of now though I did not learn it enough to code drivers or something low level to communicate with hardware but I will learn C and then get into programming of lower level stuff.
Anyway, I see there's going to be some activity.. Lets hope for the best :D