bspwm on OS X Mavericks? - OS X

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
maxdeviant
Members
I'm currently trying to install bspwm for OS X.

I was looking at windelicato's guide, but it does not explicitly cover OS X setup, specifically dependencies.

I have downloaded the bspwm and sxhkd source, and installed XQuartz.

Running
Code:
make
in the bswpm directory yields
Code:
cc -std=c99 -pedantic -Wall -Wextra -I/usr/local/include -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112L -DVERSION=\"0.8.9\" -Os  -c -o bspwm.o bspwm.c
bspwm.c:41:10: fatal error: 'xcb/xinerama.h' file not found
#include <xcb/xinerama.h>
         ^
1 error generated.
make: *** [bspwm.o] Error 1

It appears that this stems from the missing xcb dependency (which also appears in the dependency install commands for Debian- and Arch-based distros)

Would anyone be able to help me get this up and running?
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Add -I/opt/X11/include and -L/opt/X11/lib so it looks for your XQuartz libraries?
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
You can also get bspwm from pkgsrc-wip, it works on Mac OS X if you want
tmas
Registered
I've been looking into installing bspwm on OX X myself, and this was very helpful in figuring it out. However, it didn't actually work. The only way I found to get make to run properly was to copy the contents of /opt/X11/lib to /usr/include and copy the contents of /opt/X11/lib to /usr/local/lib. It's a dirty hack, but it got me through the make stage at least. I'm still configuring bspwm so I can't say for sure whether it works in the long run, but I figured I might as well put it out there.
maxdeviant
Members
(29-06-2014, 05:13 PM)tmas Wrote: I've been looking into installing bspwm on OX X myself, and this was very helpful in figuring it out. However, it didn't actually work. The only way I found to get make to run properly was to copy the contents of /opt/X11/lib to /usr/include and copy the contents of /opt/X11/lib to /usr/local/lib. It's a dirty hack, but it got me through the make stage at least. I'm still configuring bspwm so I can't say for sure whether it works in the long run, but I figured I might as well put it out there.

Haven't had a chance to try these suggestions yet, but glad to hear that you have had some success with getting make to run :)
baskerville
Registered
First install homebrew, and then:
Code:
brew tap baskerville/formulae
brew install --HEAD bspwm sxhkd
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
maxdeviant
Members
(01-07-2014, 07:55 AM)baskerville Wrote: First install homebrew, and then:
Code:
brew tap baskerville/formulae
brew install --HEAD bspwm sxhkd

This is perfect! Already use homebrew for installing other utilities.

I did not expect the project maintainer to grace this thread :)
finbarr
Registered
Did you ever succeed in getting bspwm running? I installed it as above, and after following windelicato's guide I was still unable to get bspwm to work properly.

Specifically, I couldn't get my keyboard to work properly; pressing "Command - Left arrow" would type "C" in the terminal, and many of the keyboard keys just didn't work.
venam
Administrators
I was reading this post today http://cmacr.ae/blog/2015/05/04/seamless-x11-on-osx/ written by one of our old members.
It's pretty extensive and should help others.
yuppie
Members
does any of this work in macOS Sierra? I'd love this stuff to work without Xquartz