Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
w0ne
Members
fro is tilted for no reason, +Q my nick, keeps glining me, and kickbanning me from #unix. I didn't do anything to deserve this OP abuse.
venam
Administrators
Here are the logs.
Fro first kicked you as a joke, because of your blog post about drugs.
He then infuriated when you mentioned ddosing the server because we had those in the past and won't tolerate it again.

Now, I don't manage the irc so you'll have to apologize yourself.

You need to understand that those kinds of threats are taken extremely seriously, even if they were a joke on your part.
fro
Members
I'll add to this.

from the MOTD:

─── - some simple rules:
─── - -> no cloning
─── - -> no spamming
─── - -> no flooding
─── - -> do not harass other users
─── -
─── - we reserve the right to deny service to anyone
─── - at any time for any reason.
─── -
─── - thank you for using unix.chat, and have a pleasant stay.
─── End of /MOTD command.

I'd say threats of "nullrouting" the network fall under harassment. It fits the legal definition of the term and if not there's still that bit about denying service for any reason.

I'll consider removing the bans after an apology.

However, you shouldn't apologize to me but rather the other users of the network.
jkl
Long time nixers
Isn't the MOD's behavior - kicking as "a joke" - harassment itself?

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
fro
Members
It might've been if it had been done more than once.

It wasn't.

Also, there's still the business of me being an oper.

There's still the other line from the MOTD that absolves me.

Not that any of this matters because it's not up for debate.
w0ne
Members
I'm not apologizing to you cunt, I'll just come back on another alias lmao
Don't get tilted so quick, learn how to take a joke it's IRC
fro
Members
The outcome will be the same.

This is my last reply in this thread.
jkl
Long time nixers
(30-07-2016, 09:56 AM)fro Wrote: There's still the other line from the MOTD that absolves me.

I'm not really sure if this is how you should do your job.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
jkl
Long time nixers
Point definitely proven: fro network-killed me for accusing him of misusing his power. (Which he obviously does: "I have the rights, so I am right" is not really true in most of the cases.)
Then he perma-banned me for setting him on /ignore like I do with everyone who trolls and doesn't know how to act friendly towards other people.

I seriously think this is unacceptable behavior. nixers.net's IRC channel is not your personal realm. Please make your personal channel if you want to kick people "because you can", but I don't think it is acceptable for a friendly community like this one.

--
venam
Administrators
This has gotten a bit out of hands.
Both sides are over-evaluating the situation.

It wasn't fine to kick people just "as a joke" and just "because you can".
It wasn't fine to say you were gonna null the server and take it offline.

Now everyone should get over it.

--

The things I've learned from online drama are that:
  • It's a waste of time
  • It's never worth it
  • Most of those drama come out of things unrelated to the community that shouldn't even be discussed much
  • People over emphasize on it
  • The more people emphasize, the more it gets dramatized and disagreements grow into monsters
  • Not everyone wants to build, some want to destroy, they take the opportunity when drama grow
  • Online anonymity has its drawbacks
  • If you leave it on the side you get back as best friends

--

Now if you still want to reply to this thread it's your choice.
Adrift
Members
I'm with venam on this, and it's why I largely stay out of social websites. I know that saying: "we're all adults here" doesn't ever mean anything. And now often times I see people are actually rather young.

But why encourage a chatroom that would be similar to everyone hanging out at a restaurant/bar/someone's home -- which would require manners, social skills, and respect ... Especially when everyone involved simply get into a huge argument and react poorly?

I hope I don't make matters worse. But I feel that if he thinks the ruleset includes threats under harassment -- and more importantly the chatlog mentioned ddosing -- then threats should simply be added. Additionally, everyone appeared to be in agreement of no drug related posts?

Just making an observation.
rocx
Members
(30-07-2016, 11:33 PM)Adrift Wrote: But why encourage a chatroom that would be similar to everyone hanging out at a restaurant/bar/someone's home -- which would require manners, social skills, and respect ...

Exactly. Why bother when the types of people who use UNIX for a hobby aren't the types who would have said social skills and manners even in real life? It's not like they'll be more "mature" on IRC.

If they're going to act like punks and imbeciles, they'll be treated like so. End of story. Maybe we should start cracking down on /g/ weirdos. They'll either leave (read: get banned) or get whipped into shape.
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
Complaining about misuse of power when you're on a private network that is being provided for free to you is pretty damn rich. I agree further crackdown on /g/ type antics is needed.
tigoesnumb3rs
Members
While indeed the misuse of power is absolutely in the domain of the people providing the service, it should not be up to any discussion. None of you would have it any other way, when providing a private service on your own.

I would like to point out one thing however: When providing as well as using such a service, the use of some manners might prevent useless escalations like this one. Of course it is still up to the provider, wheter he is polite or not, but it might actually be the wiser course of action to serve as a model member of the community.

That beeing said, not beeing a official staff member I would like to add something else: stop beeing a whiny bitch and get over it w0ne! Obviously most people here don't care about your drugpoetry. Just take it somewhere else. This is a unix community, not some site on druguse. Apologize if you want to stay, don't if you don't..
Noone here will probably miss you if you leave and most people probably won't mind if you decide to stay and play by the rules..
I seriously dislike you right you right now!
w0ne
Members
(30-07-2016, 11:06 AM)fro Wrote: The outcome will be the same.

This is my last reply in this thread.
Good luck finding my alias without banning random new comers, maybe you should blacklist tor nodes.
apk
Long time nixers
we gotta get the hydra before it can make more heads.

ban everyone.

bam problem solved boiiiiii