Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
wolf
Members
Hello,

It all started with command line and TUI at the end of 90's. I fell in love with DOS subsystem inside a win95 machine at high school. All because the machine I used to study has no mouse, so cmd became my best friend at those days. Late I've discovered *NIX systems ( Slackware and FreeBSD more specifically ) and its powerful shell.

Actually I use Gentoo Linux ( 11 years ) and OpenBSD ( rookie ), both with very minimalistic setup ( suckless stuff ) , avoiding Xorg/Xenocara always as possible. I like to write shell scripts, but I'm doing my best to get a good proficiency with C.

I've discovered this place following some *NIX lovers/developers cvs and blogs.
jkl
Long time nixers
Welcome to nixers! I also run, among other OSs, Gentoo Linux (at least until the ath10k driver is finally ported to non-Linuces), OpenBSD and the suckless tools. You, sir, have an exquisit taste. :-)

Shell scripts are fine for regular command chains. More complicated tasks are usually rather weird in them.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
venam
Administrators
Hello wolf.
Welcome to the forums. Maybe you can tell us more about your workflow.
wolf
Members
(18-02-2019, 01:15 PM)venam Wrote: tell us more about your workflow

( I don't know if I got your question, but here it goes ... )

Actually I work as network analyst at a company dealing most of time with "redmond systems" and GNU/Linux systems using my T60 laptop ( gentoo i686 ). I follow the "poor man" style : get the job done using CLI/TUI whenever as possible. Most of work is done using st+tmux+bash+pieceofsomething. My biggest pain is to get some interoperability with Redmond's command interpreter, specially that not-so-powerfull-shell. There's also some proprietary solutions made by gargoyles where I have no choice but to use a virtual machine.

When not working I'm studing programming with C language ( totally newbie ) and some DevOps "mumble jumble" ( I still have problems with this "new" universe ).

Some of GUI tools that I use are : thunderbird ( because most of users here use HTML email from Outlook , long story ... ), LibreOffice, Firefox and xfreerdp.

Actually I'm trying to write a wiki system because all others I tried sucks. I'll probably use something like BCHS ( without the S ) or other C web framework ( like duda or kore ).