nixers
Which BSD do you use? - Printable Version
+- nixers (https://nixers.net)
+-- Forum: Operating Systems (https://nixers.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: BSD (https://nixers.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Which BSD do you use? (/showthread.php?tid=1746)
Pages: 1 2 3 4

Which BSD do you use? - October - 24-08-2015

I recently started using OpenBSD and so far everything is great. Especially the support on my laptop. I love the fact that the devs of OpenBSD care about security/privacy, which is a big plus for me and others.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - jvarg - 25-08-2015

I'm in the same boat, started using OpenBSD some weeks ago and working with it is great. I use it as my private OS and i'm very happy with it. The only thing i really miss is something like Virtualbox (with usable performance) to set up some linux dev boxes.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - bsdkeith - 25-08-2015

I'm a fairly recent convert to OpenBSD also, (systemd made me look elsewhere in case it takes over Linux).

I also use FreeBSD on machines that are not supported fully under OpenBSD, & have used GhostBSD.

What I particularly like is how small a basic installation is under OpenBSD, less than 1GB for Fluxbox with Firefox & Xmms. The same on FreeBSD comes in at around 1.8GB.

As is mentioned in another thread, OpenBSD comes with cwm & fvwm as standard, so offers a choice of wm out of the box. (I'm a long time user of Fluxbox so automatically install it.)

I must get around to trying out cwm. :)

RE: Which BSD do you use? - October - 25-08-2015

(25-08-2015, 04:03 AM)jvarg Wrote: I'm in the same boat, started using OpenBSD some weeks ago and working with it is great. I use it as my private OS and i'm very happy with it. The only thing i really miss is something like Virtualbox (with usable performance) to set up some linux dev boxes.
You take a hit on performance by using OpenBSD, not terrible though.

(25-08-2015, 06:13 AM)bsdkeith Wrote: I'm a fairly recent convert to OpenBSD also, (systemd made me look elsewhere in case it takes over Linux).

I also use FreeBSD on machines that are not supported fully under OpenBSD, & have used GhostBSD.

What I particularly like is how small a basic installation is under OpenBSD, less than 1GB for Fluxbox with Firefox & Xmms. The same on FreeBSD comes in at around 1.8GB.

As is mentioned in another thread, OpenBSD comes with cwm & fvwm as standard, so offers a choice of wm out of the box. (I'm a long time user of Fluxbox so automatically install it.)

I must get around to trying out cwm. :)
How do you like FreeBSD/GhostBSD compared to OpenBSD? Also CWM is a neat window manager.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - vypr - 26-08-2015

I was using OpenBSD, then my stupid keyboard decided to not work.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - bsdkeith - 26-08-2015

(25-08-2015, 01:54 PM)October Wrote: How do you like FreeBSD/GhostBSD compared to OpenBSD? Also CWM is a neat window manager.
Prefer OpenBSD. Just spent an hour with cwm last night, creating my .cwmrc file. Might use it, but it will be hard to change from 'my' Fluxbox. :)

RE: Which BSD do you use? - z3bra - 26-08-2015

cwm is the best WM I could find. It's light, fast, got tons of cool and useful features and is extensible with wmutils.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - October - 26-08-2015

CWM is an amazing window manager. Will look into wmutils.

(26-08-2015, 06:09 AM)bsdkeith Wrote:
(25-08-2015, 01:54 PM)October Wrote: How do you like FreeBSD/GhostBSD compared to OpenBSD? Also CWM is a neat window manager.
Prefer OpenBSD. Just spent an hour with cwm last night, creating my .cwmrc file. Might use it, but it will be hard to change from 'my' Fluxbox. :)
You should definitely share that .cwmrc :D

RE: Which BSD do you use? - bsdkeith - 27-08-2015

It's just a rehash of one I found on line, very basic.
Code:
$ cat .cwmrc
# customize some bindings (C-control M-alt M1-button1)
bind M-r        exec
bind CM-r       reload
bind CM-l       label
bind CM-t       xterm -e "top -s 0.6"
bind CM-m       menusearch
mousebind M-1   window_move
mousebind CM-1  window_resize

# application menu
command xmms    xmms
command firefox firefox
command xpat2   xpat2
command xmahjongg  xmahjongg
command pysol  ./pysol
command mc    xterm -e mc
command viewnior  viewnior
command  gimp  gimp
command xcalc  xcalc
command xterm    xterm

# groups predefined, use xprop to get these from each program
#autogroup 2     Navigator,Firefox
#autogroup 3     pidgin
#autogroup 3     xchat
#autogroup 3     xterm,silc
#autogroup 4     xterm,mail

# inherit current selected group
sticky yes

Here is where I got it.
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20090502141551

RE: Which BSD do you use? - ChefIronBelly - 28-08-2015

Currently use NetBSD/wmutils although I have used Free, Open as daily drivers and could be happy with any of them.