nixers
Hello universe - Printable Version
+- nixers (https://nixers.net)
+-- Forum: General (https://nixers.net/Forum-General)
+--- Forum: Community & Forums Related Discussions (https://nixers.net/Forum-Community-Forums-Related-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Hello universe (/Thread-Hello-universe)

Hello universe - akts - 21-08-2016

Howdy everyone,

I'm akts. Been a distrohopper for a solid 8 years. Never learned quite the things a real user should have, but hey fun nonetheless :P

Unixmafia's deviantart brought me here. I hope to learn(what I should have) and have fun here. Once again, thank you for having me at the forums.

Love and peace

~akts

RE: Hello universe - venam - 21-08-2016

mafia comes and goes.
At the moment we don't know where he is.
Our fervent fvwm2 user!

Welcome to the forums.

RE: Hello universe - akts - 21-08-2016

Thanks for the warm welcome venam.

Going through the workflow compilation you guys put up at the moment. Very neat.

mafia's fvwm2 screens are indeed cool. Hmm... I thought he'd be here. A while back P.K Murugan (Daisuke Aramaki) also vanished. There is a tribute screenie in mafia's deviant art though.

Currently learning vim as my first step into nix training. Master z3bra's and Master xero's blogs speak highly of it. I thought I'd start learning emacs after I saw a video of Aaron Bieber smashing vim, but as a system administrator(a horrible one) I concluded vim was the way to go.

P.S there's too much neato stuff here. My eyes bleed :P

RE: Hello universe - venam - 21-08-2016

You can start by checking the current activities.

RE: Hello universe - akts - 21-08-2016

Cool, thanks mate.

RE: Hello universe - rocx - 21-08-2016

(21-08-2016, 12:44 PM)akts Wrote: I thought I'd start learning emacs after I saw a video of Aaron Bieber smashing vim, but as a system administrator(a horrible one) I concluded vim was the way to go.

TRAMP with Emacs is a slightly different beast from ssh with vim. With ssh + vim, you can drill your way into the mine and edit files directly as need be. ALternatively with TRAMP in Emacs, you can sit in your cozy parentheses-riddled drill cabin and operate the levers and such to manipulate the files and system you're drilling into.

RE: Hello universe - akts - 23-08-2016

(21-08-2016, 07:32 PM)rocx Wrote: TRAMP with Emacs is a slightly different beast from ssh with vim. With ssh + vim, you can drill your way into the mine and edit files directly as need be. ALternatively with TRAMP in Emacs, you can sit in your cozy parentheses-riddled drill cabin and operate the levers and such to manipulate the files and system you're drilling into.

I didn't know about TRAMP (*sigh face* cries in the corner). Thanks mate, for pointing that out. Are you by any chance related to emacsrocks ?

RE: Hello universe - rocx - 23-08-2016

(23-08-2016, 04:43 PM)akts Wrote: Are you by any chance related to emacsrocks ?

Hah. I wished. Haven't touched a quarter of these fancy modes to make things easier.

RE: Hello universe - z3bra - 24-08-2016

Hello akts!

First of all, welcome to the forums, I'm pretty confident you'll be a good fit in there.
I also got your email. I'm not ignoring you, I just need to take the time to answer it. Sorry in advance for the delay.

RE: Hello universe - josuah - 24-08-2016

Welcome here!

(21-08-2016, 07:32 PM)rocx Wrote: TRAMP with Emacs is a slightly different beast from ssh with vim. With ssh + vim, you can drill your way into the mine and edit files directly as need be. ALternatively with TRAMP in Emacs, you can sit in your cozy parentheses-riddled drill cabin and operate the levers and such to manipulate the files and system you're drilling into.

Nice comparison

(23-08-2016, 04:43 PM)akts Wrote: I didn't know about TRAMP (*sigh face* cries in the corner). Thanks mate, for pointing that out. Are you by any chance related to emacsrocks ?

I was also wondering at first.

RE: Hello universe - akts - 24-08-2016

(24-08-2016, 06:28 AM)z3bra Wrote: Hello akts!

First of all, welcome to the forums, I'm pretty confident you'll be a good fit in there.
I also got your email. I'm not ignoring you, I just need to take the time to answer it. Sorry in advance for the delay.

Thanks z3bra. Take your time mate, I know everyone's got their own thing :)

(23-08-2016, 10:12 PM)rocx Wrote: Hah. I wished. Haven't touched a quarter of these fancy modes to make things easier.
You guys really have a thing here, for sticking with the defaults. Kudos mate!

(24-08-2016, 06:40 AM)sshbio Wrote: Welcome here!

Thanks man. I saw your DNA color script. Neat stuff.

RE: Hello universe - jkl - 24-08-2016

Welcome! :)

RE: Hello universe - rocx - 24-08-2016

(24-08-2016, 09:34 AM)akts Wrote:
Quote:
You guys really have a thing here, for sticking with the defaults. Kudos mate!

I'm just a lazy bum. You just reminded me to set up a couple of hooks for rainbow-mode.

RE: Hello universe - josuah - 26-08-2016

Glad you liked it.

(24-08-2016, 09:34 AM)akts Wrote: You guys really have a thing here, for sticking with the defaults. Kudos mate!

There may even be some sort of manifesto in this post.

RE: Hello universe - apk - 26-08-2016

manifest destiny dude

RE: Hello universe - akts - 28-08-2016

@jkl: Thanks mate.

@sshbio: an so it starts, the hunt for sane defaults :P

@dsplayer14: So much wisdom in 3 words 3:)

@rocx: dude! rainbow mode ?. I just started with vim, don't make me ditch it for emacs. The package is pretty cool. Thanks for the info.