Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
akts
Members
Howdy everyone,

I'm akts. Been a distrohopper for a solid 8 years. Never learned quite the things a real user should have, but hey fun nonetheless :P

Unixmafia's deviantart brought me here. I hope to learn(what I should have) and have fun here. Once again, thank you for having me at the forums.

Love and peace

~akts
Dear Dr. Knuth
venam
Administrators
mafia comes and goes.
At the moment we don't know where he is.
Our fervent fvwm2 user!

Welcome to the forums.
akts
Members
Thanks for the warm welcome venam.

Going through the workflow compilation you guys put up at the moment. Very neat.

mafia's fvwm2 screens are indeed cool. Hmm... I thought he'd be here. A while back P.K Murugan (Daisuke Aramaki) also vanished. There is a tribute screenie in mafia's deviant art though.

Currently learning vim as my first step into nix training. Master z3bra's and Master xero's blogs speak highly of it. I thought I'd start learning emacs after I saw a video of Aaron Bieber smashing vim, but as a system administrator(a horrible one) I concluded vim was the way to go.

P.S there's too much neato stuff here. My eyes bleed :P
venam
Administrators
You can start by checking the current activities.
akts
Members
Cool, thanks mate.
rocx
Members
(21-08-2016, 12:44 PM)akts Wrote: I thought I'd start learning emacs after I saw a video of Aaron Bieber smashing vim, but as a system administrator(a horrible one) I concluded vim was the way to go.

TRAMP with Emacs is a slightly different beast from ssh with vim. With ssh + vim, you can drill your way into the mine and edit files directly as need be. ALternatively with TRAMP in Emacs, you can sit in your cozy parentheses-riddled drill cabin and operate the levers and such to manipulate the files and system you're drilling into.
akts
Members
(21-08-2016, 07:32 PM)rocx Wrote: TRAMP with Emacs is a slightly different beast from ssh with vim. With ssh + vim, you can drill your way into the mine and edit files directly as need be. ALternatively with TRAMP in Emacs, you can sit in your cozy parentheses-riddled drill cabin and operate the levers and such to manipulate the files and system you're drilling into.

I didn't know about TRAMP (*sigh face* cries in the corner). Thanks mate, for pointing that out. Are you by any chance related to emacsrocks ?
rocx
Members
(23-08-2016, 04:43 PM)akts Wrote: Are you by any chance related to emacsrocks ?

Hah. I wished. Haven't touched a quarter of these fancy modes to make things easier.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Hello akts!

First of all, welcome to the forums, I'm pretty confident you'll be a good fit in there.
I also got your email. I'm not ignoring you, I just need to take the time to answer it. Sorry in advance for the delay.
josuah
Long time nixers
Welcome here!

(21-08-2016, 07:32 PM)rocx Wrote: TRAMP with Emacs is a slightly different beast from ssh with vim. With ssh + vim, you can drill your way into the mine and edit files directly as need be. ALternatively with TRAMP in Emacs, you can sit in your cozy parentheses-riddled drill cabin and operate the levers and such to manipulate the files and system you're drilling into.

Nice comparison

(23-08-2016, 04:43 PM)akts Wrote: I didn't know about TRAMP (*sigh face* cries in the corner). Thanks mate, for pointing that out. Are you by any chance related to emacsrocks ?

I was also wondering at first.
akts
Members
(24-08-2016, 06:28 AM)z3bra Wrote: Hello akts!

First of all, welcome to the forums, I'm pretty confident you'll be a good fit in there.
I also got your email. I'm not ignoring you, I just need to take the time to answer it. Sorry in advance for the delay.

Thanks z3bra. Take your time mate, I know everyone's got their own thing :)

(23-08-2016, 10:12 PM)rocx Wrote: Hah. I wished. Haven't touched a quarter of these fancy modes to make things easier.
You guys really have a thing here, for sticking with the defaults. Kudos mate!

(24-08-2016, 06:40 AM)sshbio Wrote: Welcome here!

Thanks man. I saw your DNA color script. Neat stuff.
jkl
Long time nixers
Welcome! :)

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
rocx
Members
(24-08-2016, 09:34 AM)akts Wrote:
Quote:
You guys really have a thing here, for sticking with the defaults. Kudos mate!

I'm just a lazy bum. You just reminded me to set up a couple of hooks for rainbow-mode.
josuah
Long time nixers
Glad you liked it.

(24-08-2016, 09:34 AM)akts Wrote: You guys really have a thing here, for sticking with the defaults. Kudos mate!

There may even be some sort of manifesto in this post.
apk
Long time nixers
manifest destiny dude
akts
Members
@jkl: Thanks mate.

@sshbio: an so it starts, the hunt for sane defaults :P

@dsplayer14: So much wisdom in 3 words 3:)

@rocx: dude! rainbow mode ?. I just started with vim, don't make me ditch it for emacs. The package is pretty cool. Thanks for the info.