What are you working on? - Programming On Unix

Users browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)
jvarg
Members
(07-04-2017, 07:30 PM)jkl Wrote: Why would you do that?
i have to use a lot of different libraries and reference software which runs only on this specific version of boost and opencv 2.x and other constrains.
Having a container is really convenient compared to a virtual machine.
mrmister
Members
Getting back on the touchscreen program. Decided to use straight up xlib instead of Tk. Kivy might've been able to work, but I don't feel like going through all that documentation. Plus I feel like Kivy is gonna be used once, while I'm gonna be using xlib a lot more (unless everything starts going to wayland).

Also fixed my new kernel (4.9.6). The disks were going crazy cause i set debugging on. The kernel log was over 50MB of just plain text! Also got my new game controller working (logitech f310).
robotchaos
Long time nixers
@jvarg,

you could also look at using the nix package manager. that will allow you to have those libs and such installed separately from the system, even having different versions installed. http://nixos.org/nix/
jvarg
Members
@robotchaos
thanks for the hint, haven't heard of nix before and will look into it, the idea is really nice!
but one nice "container-feature" that i use atm is: i can easily give away my solution/running config to the next guy or deploy it to a server (when there is a lot of stuff to process). I think nix would be great for my private development setup
tudurom
Long time nixers
I'm working on (or worked on?) a script that converts songs from my collection concurrently to mp3, while preserving the original directory structure. It stores a list of songs in a file, complete with full paths to be able to determine the folder structure of the original music folder. Then, everything is converted concurrently with ffmpeg through GNU Parallel.

This is the code I came up with, and this is the result after running the script.
pranomostro
Long time nixers
I am definitely feeling quite productive.

After a 1 1/2 month break, I pulled myself together, and rewrote my manpages in mdoc,
structured the READMEs, rewrote treat (https://github.com/pranomostro/treat) in C
and continued my pull requests to c-toxcore.

I've still got a lot to do, but I'm getting stuff done.
jkl
Long time nixers
I noticed today that the Arch Linux forums won't let me register if I don't have access to a Linux machine.
I solved that.

(Blah, blah, PHP. Sorry, I was in a hurry.)

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
robotchaos
Long time nixers
nice work jkl.

me, i'm barely strapping on my c-legs, having a great time
josuah
Long time nixers
I either over-engineered my dotfiles or under-engineered a package manager: http://github.com/josuah/etc
Tmplt
Long time nixers
Finally dragged myself away from bspwm, which I never found any interest in to config. I first tried herbstluftwm and enjoyed the defaults, but then figured I'd try xmonad just for the sake of it (I had plans to try Haskell, anyway) and I will defenitely sink some time into setting up xmonad.hs to my liking. I think the design of having a master window is great, and writing the config in a statically typed language feels much better than writing a script (disclaimer: I'm biased).

I also found a screencast of Ethan Schoonover's setup <https://github.com/altercation/dotfiles-tilingwm>, which I plan to steal a lot of features from. Perhaps now I can create something that utilizes the hammerhead setup (two vertical monitors on the side of a bigger horizontal monitor) completely.
yossarian
Members
Still working on KBSecret: https://github.com/woodruffw/kbsecret

I'd like to do a 1.0 release pretty soon, but there are some major components that probably need to be refactored first.
jkl
Long time nixers
I've been working on something Gopher-y in C with IUP. It might or might not work on *ix. I have a number of TODOs to solve yet (including "try to build and run on *ix"), but I plan to have a release in 2017. I'll try to upload it to the nixers git when the most obvious problems are ironed out.

edit: less than one MiB of statically linked binary code on Windows 10. Take that, Javascript!

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
I'm working on getting an old Sun Ultra 5 workstation up and running. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_5/10 if you don't know of it.

I have no monitor, mouse or keyboard right now, so I basically can't do anything with it. I got some serial cables and a Sun keyboard and mouse for cheap on eBay, hopefully when I get those I can get something working. It has CD, floppy drives and an Ethernet port, so it shouldn't be too hard to get it working (if everything works) once I have a serial cable and can use my laptop as a terminal. Believe it or not, my old laptop has a serial port. I might pick up a monitor that works at a garage sale at some point, so I can use X, but performance will probably be lacking.

I remember it having Solaris on it, I don't remember the CPU frequency (could be anywhere from like 200-400 MHz). I plan to play around with Solaris but ultimately install OpenBSD on it and use it for testing ports: the byte order on sparc64 is reversed, and there are a few platform quirks that makes it good for catching assumptions. Everyone nowadays seems to assume they're on a GNU, Linux, amd64, relatively new, fast PC with lots of RAM.

Expect me to send you patches to fix your software on OpenBSD/sparc64 :)
mrtn
Members
I started learning python. As a side-project i'm looking into creating a raspberry pi powered nas for home usage.
jkl
Long time nixers
(31-07-2017, 01:56 PM)pizzaroll1 Wrote: Expect me to send you patches to fix your software on OpenBSD/sparc64 :)

That sounds like a lot of work. Good luck! (And thank you.)

--
evbo
Members
Quote:Expect me to send you patches to fix your software on OpenBSD/sparc64

That is just downright cool. I love old tech like that.
jkl
Long time nixers
Updated my blog software to compile with Clang. Might or might not work on non-Windows systems now. I notified my GNU/Linux tester and I'll check the results... :-)

edit: It does. Linux binaries (Debian) are available from someone's site.

--
hubcaps
Members
Currently working on my webapp comic reader. Point it at your comic library and read from wherever. This is my first actual project and I'm really proud of it. Got my first contributor yesterday as well =]

https://github.com/hubbcaps/gazee
jkl
Long time nixers
I accidentally a twtxt client.
https://hub.darcs.net/dertuxmalwieder/twtxtc

--
Laserswald
Members
I have been working on a plugin-based WM in C called nitro.

I've taken a lot of inspiration from tudurom's windowchef. But both of us are excited for nitro, because it may ultimately subsume windowchef entirely.

Conversely, I keep making really weird design decisions on it just because I can. (Like preprocessing all my files with M4 for type-safe generics and using Makeheaders to not deal with header files.) It's probably too much, but I keep having the inexplicable urge to do things at a high-level in C.

You guys can check it out at http://github.com/laserswald/nitro.
jkl
Long time nixers
Working on a self-hosted Xmarks alternative that should work on *ix. But you should not use it yet, it is not really tested. ;-)

--
venam
Administrators
(06-11-2017, 12:15 PM)jkl Wrote: Working on a self-hosted Xmarks alternative that should work on *ix. But you should not use it yet, it is not really tested. ;-)
Keeping bookmarks in sync has always been one of my big issues. I'm looking forward to this.
though:
Quote:One disadvantage of my KISS approach is that there are no incremental bookmarks. The "download" process replaces all of your bookmarks by the ones stored on your server (unless there is an error with your server). Be careful!
jkl
Long time nixers
My excuse for not caring about "incremental" updates is that the WebExtension API gives me limited control over what is stored in which way. The only way to be sure would be to replace Firefox's bookmark management by an independent bookmarks database, similar to what Xmarks does, but that would require a lot of additional complexity for no real advantage (except, maybe, that you can change your bookmarks on multiple computers simultaneously; this is a use case where ymarks is expected to fail).

I just want it to work first, I'll gradually add improvements later. :)

--
Evolution
Long time nixers
A few things:

1: Discord based fantasy market simulation. (A team effort, still just a prototype)
2: Desktop and mobile app for Wallhaven. (Almost done)
3: NCurses/PDCurses based ePub reader (Stalled, lack of resize support in Windows terminals)
4: A roguelike (Originally for Itch.io Game Off, taking too long though)
5: Tracker for novels to mark progress (Will run in the background and only pay attention to specific readers/sites)
6: Cross platform manga reader and downloader (Still working on the libs to make it possible in a sane way, added Mangapanda support to Fundoshi so far)
[Image: mg3nm7.gif]
We live as we dream, alone.
venam
Administrators
I implemented a 3 parts file transfer/storage with custom encryption per storage communication and custom protocol. The initialization handshake is done over UDP, agreeing if the storage encryption is trusted, and the file transfer is done over TCP.

There’s 3 programs/parts:

A client program in python to manage servers and send files to the file transfer program
A multi-threaded file transfer server in C which manages the encryption and sessions between it and the file storage
A file storage in python which decrypts and stores the files.

This was challenging and fun to do.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Got no (17 chars) link? :(
venam
Administrators
(21-11-2017, 05:06 AM)z3bra Wrote: Got no (17 chars) link? :(
Sorry, no I didn't put it online yet.
Though, it might stay on my harddrive for a while as this was a mini-freelance project.
acg
Members
(21-11-2017, 06:10 AM)venam Wrote:
(21-11-2017, 05:06 AM)z3bra Wrote: Got no (17 chars) link? :(
Sorry, no I didn't put it online yet.
Though, it might stay on my harddrive for a while as this was a mini-freelance project.

I hope it eventually goes online though.

(21-11-2017, 12:44 AM)Evolution Wrote: 2: Desktop and mobile app for Wallhaven. (Almost done)

What features are you adding to this?
argonaut · musician · developer · writer · https://www.betoissues.com
Nihility
Members
working on a mobile app in react-native that will translate my local dialect to english and vice versa

backend part/scraper is using nodejs, planning on porting to golang but will polish the app first because i'm bad at designing stuff
Evolution
Long time nixers
acg Wrote:What features are you adding to this?

Login (When the API is available so users can access NSFW and other features)
Wallpaper randomization (With modifiers for picking category, purity, etc as well as interval and maybe even allow modifier presets based on other factors)
Device sync (Same wallpaper across devices as best as possible)
All the features Wallhaven itself already has in some shape or form.

Id also like to add support for things like urnn.
[Image: mg3nm7.gif]
We live as we dream, alone.