Houseoftea
Long time nixers
I have a short script:

#!/bin/bash
xclip -selection clipboard
xdotool key F6
xdotool key control+c
xclip -o > ~/sites

On firefox f6 selects the url, I use this with sxhkd to quickly save sites that I may want to go back to.

Basically this relies on xdotool and xclip, I was wondering if there is:

1. a way to do this that does not need so many programs (xclip/xdotool)
2. A better (elaborate) way to do this and why

If you do something similiar let me know how you do it.

Im thinking of either writing a script that will launch iceweasel and open each saved link in a new tab. Or somehow having a startpage that would display a link to each of these sites.

I need to put some more thought into both.

all feedback, comments and stories welcome!
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
bookmarks.
cfoobaz
Members
Not that it matters much since you're writing scripts, but it happens that C-l (l as in lynx) works the same as F6 to select the url in Firefox. I use it manually all the time.
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
I might have overengineered a little.
rip KISS principle
cfoobaz
Members
Indeed. I just use bookmarks if I intend to return to the site as a whole somewhat frequently. If it's just an interesting image, article, video, etc. I paste the url into a file full of links.
greduan
Long time nixers
I use Pinboard.in. I got an account before it was a yearly fee, so I have a lifetime account there.
Eduan / greduan
https://greduan.com
me@greduan.com
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
In dwb, there is the "quickmark" feature, which lets you associate a few letters to a link. You can access them by pressing b (open quickmark) and then type those letters. This forum is marked as "nx" for me for example. So when I want to save something, I mark the page with a quick word, so I can easily come back to it.

Vimb also has this nice feature which is the "read it later" queue. You push link to a FILO list, so you can save the URL until you read them. This is a pretty cool feature which COULD make me switch away from dwb. But vimb has no tabs...