thoughts on chrome os? - GNU/Linux

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
Based on gentoo, and very oriented to the cloud.

Similar to many thin client distros like:
Thinstation, Skolelinux and 2XOS

What do you guys think?

I am asking because I recently purchased a refurbished acer c720 i3 4gb.
I have been considering either:
running chrome os side by side with a linux distro
or
blowing it away altogether.

Is it worth keeping?
Me personally I don't have any purpose for it. I actually hate material design.

If you like Chrome OS, then I don't see any reason for you to get rid of it? IIRC you can make a backup of Chrome ISO and just install later if you wanted to.
dkeg
Members
Agreed, but you probably have plenty of space to run side by side. I bet though you'll never log into chrome os. So probably just blow it away.

Nice machine from what i heard and can see. I have an acer, but from 2010. It has worked super well for me, through school and since.
work hard, complain less
bsdkeith
Long time nixers
I would just put my normal O/S onto it.
venam
Administrators
If you are into the whole SaaS and The Cloud thing then go for it.
Personally, it doesn't attract me at all.
srp
Long time nixers
I actually own a Chromebook (but installed Linux on it about half a year later). It was pretty alright for what is sufficient in a netbook-like device. Despite everything being web-oriented, it's definitely better than other Thin Web Client systems. If you know how to override the security, it can be a good investment, even on Chrome OS. You can still have access to a shell, still have the same tools (in terms of CLI), and still have a good time with it for development. There's various IDEs/editors on the Chrome Web Store (and there's online IDEs/editors as well).

I think overall its pretty good.
~Seraphim R.P.
the artistnixer formerly known as vypr formerly known as sticky
Pockets69
Members
Like you I own an acer c720 but the celeron one with 4gb of ram, i have to be honest this thing is fast, I mean really fast.

I use it for university mostly, but also at home, i mean in 7 secs you got your browser opened and ready to start typing, I can't ask more than that.

When it comes to more complicated stuff I use crouton with elementaryOS, seriously this is the perfect machine for me for everyday usage, chromeOS for note taking and web browsing, elementaryOS for the rest.
what is people obsession over crux? :P
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
Does crouton have any lag or anything?
Webtm
Members
(06-08-2015, 07:48 PM)Pockets69 Wrote: Like you I own an acer c720 but the celeron one with 4gb of ram, i have to be honest this thing is fast, I mean really fast.

I use it for university mostly, but also at home, i mean in 7 secs you got your browser opened and ready to start typing, I can't ask more than that.

When it comes to more complicated stuff I use crouton with elementaryOS, seriously this is the perfect machine for me for everyday usage, chromeOS for note taking and web browsing, elementaryOS for the rest.
Same question. There is no lag with crouton?
Also, you have never had the issue of the backspace button being below the power button?
Pockets69
Members
zero lag, you can even play games on steam seriously guys go watch a video or two on youtube about the performance, its great, and again i am talking about a celeron processor.

Webtm nah well sometimes i press the power button, but it doesn't do anything, the power button will only lock the screen with your session running, and a simple press won't do anything, you need to hold it for 2 secs or so for it to lock your screen, then only way to turn it off by pressing the power button is to press it for like ten secs.
what is people obsession over crux? :P