Scavenger Hunt (June 2019) - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
Hello nixers,
Welcome to this June edition of the scavenger hunt.

I don't think anyone needs much introduction to the topic. You can find the other years solutions in this thread: https://nixers.net/showthread.php?tid=2184 which when enough persons finish will be updated with the solution to this one.

Prerequisite:

- A good font that supports unicode display
- openssl
- patience

So here we go:

A text file of an IRC chat log of a secret society was found. It looks intricate.
http://venam.nixers.net/irc_chat.log

First Step Hints

Here's a first level hint for the start
You should get an IP and a port, dots and the colon included.
Example: 127.0.0.1:12345
And a second hint for the first step, if you are still stuck
Facts aren't binary. They can be placed on a scale/rating, think of them like a number system. Snopes has the possible ranges. The dot and colon can be in the system after the numbers.
A third one if you are hopeless for the first step:
The system starts at 0 and ends with . then :

If you are stuck at any point you can contact me on IRC.
venam
Administrators
Seems like everyone is stuck on this one. Please don't feel bad about asking for more clues, it's part of the fun.
Halfwit
Members
I was playing for a bit with this, but I'm pretty busy working on a few projects, so this hit the backburner.
acg
Members
Same here, I tried to, but noticed I'll have to make some time for it. Luckily next week I start part-time so I'll get my hands on it.
venam
Administrators
Just a reminder that this is still ongoing and that if you need any new hints or help I'm open for questions.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I just read the solution... The first step was just too hard for me and I couldn't pass through it.
You did an awesome job there buddy!
I wish I could finish it, really! Oh and btw, it's not my dedup program but sin's, I just gave a hand with dynamic chunking ;)