Are you a member of any ~tilde's - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
pfr
Nixers
Hey, what tilde are you a member of?
Any recommendations? I personally am drawn to tilde-pink because its hosted on NetBSD and it seemingly attracts BSD users but would love to hear some thoughts and know where some good content is.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Maybe you have some bird ideas... Maybe that's the best you can do.” - Terry A. Davis (R.I.P Terry & Percival)
twee
Members
I'm on tilde.town. I chose it because I liked their policies and it seemed nicely sized and active. I've been satisfied enough that I've not bothered looking to any other places, but I'll admit I was almost convinced by pink purely for being pink.
s0kx
Members
I'm also on tilde.town for the same reasons as twee. I had an account on tilde.black, but somehow managed to lose the password. Not really sure why they even need an extra password, aren't ssh keys enough??
venam
Administrators
Same here, I'm on tilde.town.
eye
Members
What can you do with such an account?
s0kx
Members
(24-11-2020, 04:12 AM)eye Wrote: What can you do with such an account?

- Depending on the tilde, you can freely host websites, gopher, git, email, irc bots & bouncers
- Build group projects
- Socialize

You should browse:
https://tildeverse.org/
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I considered it at some point, but I don't need any web/git/gopher/email hoster, because I host everything myself. For the socialization bit, I joined the IRC channels over there and didn't feel like I was missing something. I'm however eager to join a few tech related communities like nixers for example. What do I miss by not having a tilde account ?
Dworin
Members
I made an account on tilde.town but I don't really know what to do there. I guess it's not really for me.
jkl
Long time nixers
I like the historical connotation of tilde accounts (back when the internet was young, most people only had a ~username at some university) - but in 2020 when hosting your stuff is cheap and easy, that’s it, mostly.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
pkal
Long time nixers
I kind of have one, at my university (as jkl mentioned), but sadly I appear to be the only one who uses it as a tilde, and not just cloud storage.

But I too have my own VPS, and as far as I know, I got one, before tilde-sites got more widespread, but if that hadn't have happened, I would have probably started using a tilde, as I do like the idea.
stratex
Nixers
I like that people are doing very simple sites over-there, no JS, no heavy css, mostly browsable in something like lynx, there should be more of such sites on the web. I don't like centralization/federalization, you don't really need it, it's necessary for something like a chat program, but not general stuff like sites. Why would you subdue yourself to a single 'dictator', they can block or ban you like you could be banned on reddit, twitter, facebook. same thing, just different site style.
eye
Members
I just registered for tilde.town
ols
Members
(24-11-2020, 02:34 AM)s0kx Wrote: I'm also on tilde.town for the same reasons as twee. I had an account on tilde.black, but somehow managed to lose the password. Not really sure why they even need an extra password, aren't ssh keys enough??

tilde.black is gone now, which is a great shame!

personally, i'm on the majority of them that are mentioned on tildeverse.org, just for the craic really
pfr
Nixers
I suppose I don't have any great need to be a part of a tilde, but I'm just after some good chats. Much like we have here and on the nixers irc. But because I live in a different time zone to most of you all (Australia) I tend to miss out on a lot of the chat. Lately I've just been seeking good community vibes in unconventional places, for which tilde fits the bill.

I'm signing up to 3 at this stage:
tilde.town - Most people seem to be on this one
tilde.pink - because NetBSD and because pink
aussies.space (aka aussietilde) - Because aussie.

Side note:
Interestingly, on https://tilde.club/ you can see that there were no new member from 2014 to 2019, and then a handful have joined this year. I think that might be the case for other tildes too. Same thing with gopher.. people are edging back to these decentralised parts of the web. Probably a good thing.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Maybe you have some bird ideas... Maybe that's the best you can do.” - Terry A. Davis (R.I.P Terry & Percival)
ols
Members
I know we spoke on irc about this, but for the benefit of the forum: rawtext.club is a great community for asynchronous conversations, and “slow” social interactions
pfr
Nixers
(24-11-2020, 08:46 PM)ols Wrote: I know we spoke on irc about this, but for the benefit of the forum: rawtext.club is a great community for asynchronous conversations, and “slow” social interactions

Yes, thankyou! I'm glad you mentioned it because I had already forgotten.
eye
Members
How long do they usually take to register a person? I signed up last week, still no answer?
yakumo.izuru
Members
I'm on most tildes mentioned on tildeverse.org, although I originally joined YourTilde (which is gone) back in late 2020 or something around that time. The last one I joined around the past year was https://tilde.cafe because of one of its admins (which I've got to know earlier in time) luring me there and so I stuck there.
Code:
_                _            ,                                
(_|   |_/o       | |          /|   |                      o    
  |   |      __  | |  _ _|_    |___|  _   ,_    _  _  _     _|_
  |   |  |  /  \_|/  |/  |     |   |\|/  /  |  / |/ |/ |  |  |  
   \_/   |_/\__/ |__/|__/|_/   |   |/|__/   |_/  |  |  |_/|_/|_/
~Izuru Yakumo
yakumo.izuru
Members
I'll be eventually self-hosting my own things at some point in time, and maybe a pubnix if that ever happens.
Code:
_                _            ,                                
(_|   |_/o       | |          /|   |                      o    
  |   |      __  | |  _ _|_    |___|  _   ,_    _  _  _     _|_
  |   |  |  /  \_|/  |/  |     |   |\|/  /  |  / |/ |/ |  |  |  
   \_/   |_/\__/ |__/|__/|_/   |   |/|__/   |_/  |  |  |_/|_/|_/
~Izuru Yakumo
cyr4x3
Members
I'm currently active on envs.net and I also have an account on tilde.town.

envs.net is quite cool and fits all my needs, but I may try others too just for the sake of it.