Workflow Compilation [June Events 2021] - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
This is part of the June events.

Time to show off your workflow to everyone! You know the concept.

What is it ?
This is a video compiling a bunch of screencast from the nixers members, all performing the same task, but using their personal setup.
this would result in a compilation showing the personal workflow of each participant, and setting a comparison point between them.

Can I participate ?
Sure ! The more videos we get, the better. Just post your submission and we'll add it !

What are the rules ?
1. Nixers will have to perform the tasks in the exact order they are listed (see below).
2. Nixers must use a single monitor for the screencast
3. Nixers' screen resolution should be above 1280x720
4. Nixers submissions should be in webm format
5. Nixers should submit their compilation before 2021-06-30 at midnight (UTC)

How can I record the video ?
The command to use is the following (adjust the resolution to fit your actual setup, it might also vary as you may find the recording too fast):

Code:
RESOLUTION=$(xwininfo -root | sed -nE 's/-geometry[[:space:]]([[:digit:]]+x[[:digit:]]+)+.*$/\1/p')

Code:
RESOLUTION=1440x900
ffmpeg -f x11grab -s $RESOLUTION -an -r 16 -loglevel quiet -i :0.0 -b:v 5M -y workflow-compil-${USER}.webm

Another example
Code:
RESOLUTION=1440x900
ffmpeg -thread_queue_size 128 -f x11grab -r 30 -s $RESOLUTION -i :0.0 -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -threads 0 -y output.mkv
ffmpeg -i output.mkv workflow-compil-${USER}.webm

For those running OSX:

Code:
RESOLUTION=1440x900
ffmpeg -f avfoundation -s $RESOLUTION -an -r 16 -loglevel quiet -i 0:none -b:v 5M -y workflow-compil-${USER}.webm

To end the video, press `q`.

What is the task list ?
  • Put on some music
  • Write some random text to a file in /tmp
  • Show "toilet", "figlet", ASCII art, and try it in a funny way !
  • Install a simple software (show pkg management)
  • Set a wallpaper
  • Take a scrot ( beautify it if you must ) and upload it to a pastebin of your choice
  • Join the IRC and paste the link to the scrot in #nixers
  • Check your RSS feed (optional)
  • Browse the forum (post something on this thread, you'll edit it later with the actual link of the video)

Submissions

Previous threads: #1, #2, & #3.

Feel free to add more information about your setup as others might be interested in knowing what is actually running in the video. Otherwise, hope on IRC and ask.

Have fun!

The result has been uploaded as webm, on a YouTube mirror, on movq mirror

Messages In This Thread
Workflow Compilation [June Events 2021] - by venam - 01-06-2021, 12:05 PM