So I've got this server .. - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
shtols
Long time nixers
Okay, so I've got the first 'testversion' of the box up and running. In end I choose virtualization for the scalability (Everything I virtualize runs on Virtualbox, all nodes connected via VPN and managed by a centralized interface. I'm still planning to do a writeup on this.) and FreeBSD 10-RELEASE x64 as operating system. The machine has two virtual cores, 4096MB of RAM and runs in bridge mode, directly connected to a 100MBit uplink.

I've installed all the things I could think of that you people might want (bash, zsh, fish, git, svn, tmux, screen, weechat, irssi, GPG, gcc in all forms, Python 2 and 3, Lua 5.1 and 5.2, Ruby ..) and set up a quite permissive firewall - everything outgoing is allowed. The current restrictions are as following:
  • A maximum of four processes, 8MB of maximum RAM per process, ..
  • .. resulting in a maximum of 32MB RAM
  • A disk quota of 2GB hard-limit with ..
  • .. a file limit of 15MB / file
There are a couple of things I still need to do
  • IPv6 (Adressing as well as firewalling)
  • Backups (Local as well as remote)
  • Finer-grained limits (especially for CPU-time)
  • Finer-grained Firewall (Limiting certain things.. I'm not exactly sure how I will do this but I'm certain that I'll do some more work there)
  • [OPTIONAL] Mailserver (I'm thinking of Pestfix here or OpenSMTPd, but I don't even know if I really want that)
  • [OPTIONAL] Webserver (Apache + ModUserdir?)

This machine will probably get reinstalled in two months or so, on one hand because I need to use it in order to really know what needs to be improved and on the other hand because I want to have /home on a seperate partition. I'd be happy to see some folks using this machine and even more happy if those folks would tell me what they would want or not want. In case you want an account, just drop me a note and a public-key.

Oh, and a personal plea: I'm no BSD systems administrator by trade and I'm generally not the most experience-having guy out there. I'm putting a lot of trust in you guys that you don't abuse me. That 'd be awesome. :)

Messages In This Thread
So I've got this server .. - by shtols - 17-07-2014, 05:50 PM
RE: So I've got this server .. - by z3bra - 18-07-2014, 04:47 AM
RE: So I've got this server .. - by jolia - 18-07-2014, 05:29 AM
RE: So I've got this server .. - by exp0sure - 19-07-2014, 04:44 PM
RE: So I've got this server .. - by delucks - 20-07-2014, 01:49 PM
RE: So I've got this server .. - by shtols - 14-08-2014, 10:37 AM
RE: So I've got this server .. - by dcli - 14-08-2014, 10:50 AM
RE: So I've got this server .. - by shtols - 14-08-2014, 10:54 AM
RE: So I've got this server .. - by dcli - 14-08-2014, 03:38 PM
RE: So I've got this server .. - by exp0sure - 01-11-2014, 02:59 PM