What shell do you guys use? - BSD
evbo
zsh, I've used oh-my-zsh and a custom theme for so long that I can't use anything else
jvarg
i also use zsh for the terminal. I really like the vim mode.
For scripting i use Bash.
robotchaos
any readline-linked shell can have vim mode. just use the CTRL-ALT-j key to enter vim mode from bash or rc and voila, vim mode. Also in bash, 'set -o vi' will take you into vim mode. while in vim command mode, CTRL-e will take you back to emacs editing mode.
jvarg
@robotchaos awesome, thanks! I'll try this!
r4ndom
(24-04-2017, 02:33 PM)robotchaos Wrote: any readline-linked shell can have vim mode. just use the CTRL-ALT-j key to enter vim mode from bash or rc and voila, vim mode. Also in bash, 'set -o vi' will take you into vim mode. while in vim command mode, CTRL-e will take you back to emacs editing mode.

That was the command that brought me back to bash, since the only thing I really loved about zsh was the vi mode.
z3bra
dcat made me switch away from vi mode. I hated him at first, now I'm sold!

I love vi's modes, it makes text edition really powerful and convenient, but for line edition, it is a waste of time. In vi, you spend most of the time in normal mode, while in term, you're in insert mode 90% of the time. This makes using normal mode inneficient and tiresome. It took me a few weeks to assimilate the readline basic moves (M-f, M-b, ...) but it is definitely worth it!
venam
(25-04-2017, 06:11 AM)z3bra Wrote: I love vi's modes, it makes text edition really powerful and convenient, but for line edition, it is a waste of time. In vi, you spend most of the time in normal mode, while in term, you're in insert mode 90% of the time. This makes using normal mode inneficient and tiresome. It took me a few weeks to assimilate the readline basic moves (M-f, M-b, ...) but it is definitely worth it!

Same here, I switched away from vi mode but for another reason: I want to keep things vanilla.

I'm sshing into a bunch of machine and I thought it would be better to just get accustomed to the default keybinds instead of vi.

Also a misconception I had about those keybinds is that they are "terminal keybinds" and not "Emacs keybinds", though some of them are in fact Emacs too, like the M-f and M-b. Most of the others are just plain line-discipline interpretation.

These days I'm using zsh but for only one feature: the explanation of the command line arguments on completion.
For the rest I'm using whatever comes on the machine (except C shells).
robotchaos
@venam, i did for the same exact reason. i also use the default emacs mode. i tend to spend a lot of time on a lot of different servers, and the default is emacs mode on every single one of them. so instead of always switching to vi-mode, i decided to learn the default. it has the added benefit of getting me used to applications that are also readline capable. this way i can use C-a to go to the beginning of the line, C-e to go to the end, M-backspace to delete a word with separator back, C-w to delete a full word back, C-p for previous history, C-n for next history, etc. it is all so very helpful. (could also use vi-mode within a cli app, but would have to change the mode there as well)

except when you get so damn used to these keybindings, and you attempt to delete the last word you're typing in a reply on the forum using C-w...

but the defaults are why i also use bash everywhere except my personal laptop. it is the default shell on all of our servers. and i follow where the wind blows, or something like that
rocx
(25-04-2017, 06:11 AM)z3bra Wrote: It took me a few weeks to assimilate the readline basic moves (M-f, M-b, ...) but it is definitely worth it!

Yesssss... Goooood... Glad you're finally starting to see the light.
robotchaos
yeah you can learn a lot reading readline(3)

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode