Where to start with BSD? - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
RoastPotatoes
Long time nixers
I have become comfortable in using Linux. Although I am certain I could find areas I am not confident I am looking for a change. Where should I start with BSD? My BSD experience is non-existent and I am looking to learn a new environment.
bsdkeith
Long time nixers
Start by installing it! ;)
BSD is very similar to Linux, just that some programs will use slightly different syntax.
So, if you know Linux, you know (probably 90% of) BSD. :)
You may find some hardware is not supported, so check their compatibility first, or just experiment.
Each flavour of BSD is slightly different, but very similar.
I now use OpenBSD, but I first tried it using FreeBSD, be warned though, they all expect you to read documentation. :)
Jump in & get your feet wet.
RoastPotatoes
Long time nixers
I'm giving freebsd a go.
bsdkeith
Long time nixers
Glad to hear it, hope you enjoy your experience, (& tell others :)).
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
If plain FreeBSD is too different from Linux, too hard to install etc, you can also install PC-BSD, which is FreeBSD with a graphical installer, a few desktop environments to choose from, and an easier experience overall for newcomers, so you can get started and at least be able to browse the web and do all your normal work without getting bogged down in unfamiliar BSD disk terminology, weird filesystems you've never heard of before, and other stuff that could make your BSD experience unpleasant.

PC-BSD is FreeBSD all the way down, so you can use the FreeBSD Handbook, which is an excellent source of information on the FreeBSD package manager, ports, init scripts and other things that you wouldn't have seen before in Linux (well, you might have seen similar things, but all the FreeBSD-specific details are in the Handbook).

While this forum is a good place for some advice, if you send an email to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, the FreeBSD mailing list for questions and technical support, you could get an answer from a FreeBSD developer or someone in the community who's had the same problem as you. Generally, the community is nice to beginners and only mean to people who should know better.

Have fun!
my website: kaashif.co.uk