Which BSD do you use? - BSD
z3bra
I use openbsd on two of my server, but am considering netbsd for a fileserver. Would you think it might fit such an easy task?
jkl
I wouldn't consider NetBSD for a file server. It does not have notably fitting features.
z3bra
(01-07-2017, 09:54 AM)jkl Wrote: I wouldn't consider NetBSD for a file server. It does not have notably fitting features.

Could you develop? NetBSD has an NFS package, can connect to any VPN, so it should be fine.
What would you suggest instead? (and why?)
jkl
(02-07-2017, 04:48 AM)z3bra Wrote: NetBSD has an NFS package, can connect to any VPN, so it should be fine.

This applies to most BSDs AFAIK. I was actually wondering why you pick NetBSD and not (e.g.) FreeBSD or DragonFly BSD (the latter of which having the perfect file server FS).
z3bra
So you mean that no BSD would fit the job of being a fileserver? What would you advise instead?

I chose NetBSD because I would like to discover it. pkgsrc seems to be a funny experiment in package management. I already use openbsd, freebsd is targetted for desktops in my mind, and drangonfly, well, I have no idea which purpose it would serve...
Openbsd started as a netbsd fork iirc, so I'm curious to see the design it features.
jkl
(02-07-2017, 01:01 PM)z3bra Wrote: drangonfly, well, I have no idea which purpose it would serve...

Large file servers (and clusters), mostly.

(02-07-2017, 01:01 PM)z3bra Wrote: Openbsd started as a netbsd fork iirc, so I'm curious to see the design it features.

The notable NetBSD user Hubert Feyrer compared them 12 years ago and I'm sure that things have diverted even more from there.
z3bra
I read the page about HAMMER, it seems great indeed. I don't have the need for all these features though (history, undo/redo, ...).

I'll stick with netbsd for now. I plan to run a cubox-i at home to act as a home fileserver. This way the setup will be the same for both servers so it will be easier.to manage
Tmplt
Ended up installing FreeBSD on my server. Currently hosting my website and a cgit instance via nginx. I wanted to try httpd out, but I couldn't get it to compile. I'm also a few ports away from syntax highlighting and markdown-to-html in cgit, but that isn't anything important.

I'll be trying OpenBSD on either my laptop or the next server I have parts for, though.
acg
I just installed FreeBSD on my Raspberry Pi and will be testing BSD there for the first time. If everything goes well I might switch on this laptop or if I get a new machine.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode