z3bra
That would be nice! Do you work as a network architect or something similar?

Ok, so it seems we have a few people interrested. Here is a quick sketch of the topics I would like to cover:

0. introduction
  • OSI model

1. physical layer
  • RJ45 pins
  • straigh-through / crossover cables
  • network topologies
  • sending bits

2. data link layer
  • MAC address
  • switches
  • hubs
  • ARP protocol

3. network layer (the big one)
  • IP addresses
  • network/broadcast address
  • netmask
  • gateway
  • routers
  • routing protocols

4. transport layer
  • encapsulation
  • TCP / UDP

4. further informations
  • Bonding
  • Bridging
  • VLAN
  • Firewall
  • VPN
  • DNS

I think we will cover a big part of networking basics with these. If you feel something is missing, or would like to see another topic discussed, please ask and I'll consider discussing it.
I will probably share my screen, but I need a reliable way to do so. If someone has an idea, please tell me! Another idea would be to do it over Tox, but I'm not sure there is a way to record the video/audio. I'll check.

What do you think of this program?
(13-07-2016, 03:05 AM)z3bra Wrote: That would be nice! Do you work as a network architect or something similar?

Nope, just a lowly admin but my dad is pretty high level and at one of the major US telecoms at that so I can usually "borrow" most reasonably borrowable equipment. When I told him I was studying for my CCNA i had a CCIE lab in my bedroom the next day.

Looks good to me. I need to touch up on VLANs personally.
pranomostro
@z3bra:

Thanks for the detailed answer.
Quite some reading material ahead!
acg
(13-07-2016, 03:05 AM)z3bra Wrote: Ok, so it seems we have a few people interrested. Here is a quick sketch of the topics I would like to cover:

I've read about this but I think it would be amazing content coming from people over here.
z3bra
Ok, I got the streaming part covered in using ffmpeg. There is like 10 seconds delay, but it should be ok to demonstrate practical stuff.
For sound, we can use my mumble server, and perhaps IRC for live questions.
acg
(14-07-2016, 03:38 PM)z3bra Wrote: Ok, I got the streaming part covered in using ffmpeg. There is like 10 seconds delay, but it should be ok to demonstrate practical stuff.
For sound, we can use my mumble server, and perhaps IRC for live questions.

Using IRC should be fine as it can be easily embedded almost anywhere, plus most of us are already there.
stark
Kudos for the live streaming ! Are the live lessons going to be archived somewhere ? Perhaps we can create a Github page or something, and add lesson notes, video link, etc.
z3bra
I don't like github. But I can host it myself. I need to look at audio streaming as well, so I can save the file for later distribution. The 10 seconds lag bother me though, as if there are question, I will get them 10 seconds after O discussed the topic.
tigoesnumb3rs
Could you maybe use something like asciinema [0] to record the screencasts?

[0] : https://asciinema.org/
z3bra
Yeah I have been considering such an option (not asciinema, but our very own solution, see thread https://nixers.net/showthread.php?tid=1662). I ended up ditching it because you can't record sound with it, and it's bound to the terminal anyway (and I plan to use my whole screen).

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode