nixers community git - Community & Forums Related Discussions
jkl
In this case: I'd suggest Todo.txt or org-mode for that.
z3bra
(25-07-2017, 10:21 AM)jkl Wrote: In this case: I'd suggest Todo.txt or org-mode for that.

Org-mode involves emacs specifically so I'd rather not use that.
jkl
org-mode is actually plaintext, perfectly editable with ed(1).
Also, https://github.com/jceb/vim-orgmode/
pizzaroll1
Just write a TODO file in some sort of format. When you're doing a task, add a note to it saying you're doing that task. Why does it need to be so complicated? This is just bikeshedding, it's not like the file has to be machine-readable. People inventing their own formats is a problem for computers, but people can read anything. What's wrong with writing some unstructured text like:

Code:
TODO
----

assigned
----------
* fix compiler warnings (assigned to z3bra)
* port to openbsd (assigned to kaashif)
* write a man page (assigned to jkl)

not assigned
-----------
* port to minix
* write new feature x

Also, can I have access? Here is my SSH public key:

Code:
ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQCtG7r+Zz7KBxxaBSIl78R3yVBHJLIBx+THqLX82n30Zp8VEbSeEKnyJFGMg8qf9YgxW3S4MuQACMjIOhubdA3QgT/lCiIJFEozPNj+IcwROQzIWjCWQuBowc21GHcceRVrlbCWHLo+IDZHZiKOSanacmBnKhxifVmmY74X2v6FzIV5Aya2t/bLyCEmd9Vw9RzabG3Jsnq05N5U929fsv6DjIzFMYJYBRjgK4uzdZYrJDfL97fy8CE/UHZG5yo2wcvayh7Fc09DcCCIv3TchH7D23/HnQbjD4sOmqvjlvYCdXHF4y0mOQpK4GnBFgOvW8sdtOZdCWfp6LOox9Q3xMKp kaashif@thinkpad-t61
z3bra
Org mode is plain text, but with a strict format that is not pleasant to read. Its goal isn't to look readable as is, but rather to be a simple interface for a rendering engine. In this regard, I also find markdown better suited for the task as it's standardized, and readable as is.

I like what pizza is proposing, it's clear and simple. And that would be until we find a simple bug tracker ;)

@pizza, your key is on!
evbo
I agree with pizza, that's a good way to do it.
acg
(25-07-2017, 12:46 PM)pizzaroll1 Wrote: People inventing their own formats is a problem for computers, but people can read anything. What's wrong with writing some unstructured text like

Up-vote for this. Markdown is easy to write, read and can be converted easily (i don't know why you'd do it in this case) since it's standarized.
jkl
Markdown explains text formatting, still nothing about the file structure...
pizzaroll1
Could you explain the benefits of using a structured file format? I don't think we'll be using frontends to this: everyone will edit and read the files in a text editor, so I can't think of any benefits to making it a well-structured machine-readable format. What do you plan to do with the TODO file? I thought the workflow was just:

1. someone writes some tasks in a file
2. people add their names next to the task to claim it
3. they add the task to a "done" list once they're done

Since it's just unstructured plain text, merge conflicts can be resolved easily since it's not like you have to produce a syntactically correct file, or preserve history, or anything: just put something in that makes sense to the person reading it.

This is like a NEWS file or CONTRIBUTING file, it's purely for the benefit of humans.
z3bra
(25-07-2017, 06:01 PM)jkl Wrote: Markdown explains text formatting, still nothing about the file structure...

Dude please make some effort developping your ideas instead of criticizing things nonchalantly like you own the great truth.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode  |  Help