How do you usually introduce someone to free *nix? - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
Hello *nixer,
the question is simple but extremely hard to answer.
Quote:How do you usually introduce someone to free *nix?

I mean any free OS or just explaining what is *nix.
I may also want to add that it's when you are talking to normal people.

My way of doing it is to just boot their computer from a live CD (I always carry 2 live USB and 5 live CD with me).

How can you do this without showing them something concrete.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Show them the documentary 'Revolution OS'. I generally recommend that.
venam
Administrators
I mean if someone see you using *nix, then he/she normally ask you what is this thing you are using.
After that you Proudly name the distribution, **blank stare**, then you say it GNU/Linux or it's a *BSD.
Now he/she asks why you are using this or what it is about.
You aren't going to tell the person "Hey watch this video and you'll get your answer".
I would just say that it's an operating system that is cool and good to learn. ( then I do the stare that means **GTFO**! )
Anyway, this stuff is complicated.
I would rather show someone a nice full graphic KDE environment to get them started.
Jayro
Long time nixers
My mother's netbook was constantly slow as balls when it was running windows and all she did was complain. So one night I just backed up her important stuff and formatted it. I intended on re-installing Windows for her but decided to force her into trying Ubuntu instead. My argument was "Android runs linux, so you already use linux on your phone". She has not complained since.
vompatti
Long time nixers
ones my friend's hard drive broke and he didnt have windoze so I installed xubuntu on it, other ways I just say use linux its better and nobody gives a fuck :DDD
(08-11-2012, 09:21 AM)Jayro Wrote: My mother's netbook was constantly slow as balls when it was running windows and all she did was complain. So one night I just backed up her important stuff and formatted it. I intended on re-installing Windows for her but decided to force her into trying Ubuntu instead. My argument was "Android runs linux, so you already use linux on your phone". She has not complained since.

I'm trying to convince my family to move over to Linux, they just won't have it though.