Raspberry Pi <3 - Other Embedded Platforms and Hardware Hacking
tigoesnumb3rs
Give them to some of your friends and try to set up a small mesh network using tinc or peervpn?

Then maybe set up internal services like a chat, mail, distributed encrypted backups, a shared ebook- or musiclibrary..

The only problem is finding the right people to participate.. lots of non-technical people consider mesh networks to be a bad thing.
tudurom
(07-06-2016, 08:47 PM)arcetera Wrote: i have tons of these little things and i have no idea what to do with them. any ideas?
set up a cluster to replace your VPS
xcko
I just found something new for a pi (or similar hardware). https://piratebox.cc/faq
It creates an offline, anonymous file sharing, chat room, forum, and optionally an irc server. What it does is set up a wifi access point that anyone can join, and it redirects web requests to the local page where everything is located. As it's not connected to the wider internet, it is naturally secure, private, and local only. They are also working on mesh network support as well.
pyratebeard
Interesting. That would be really handy for LAN parties and meetups. Better than passing USBs around when transferring files.
resk
Got a pie recently. Nice to see there's a thread for inspo about what to do with it. I think I'll make a TV-station with it.
Wildefyr
Got my pi setup as a alternative to wake on lan seeing as I can never get it to work properly. Gonna write up a post about it when I get the time but has anyone got suggestions for a more powerful board though? The pi zero is just too slow to do heavier services like webhosting etc. Preferable with external drive support as well.
evbo
(23-05-2019, 08:01 PM)Wildefyr Wrote: ... anyone got suggestions for a more powerful board though? The pi zero is just too slow to do heavier services like webhosting etc. Preferable with external drive support as well.

The Pi3 B+ is more powerful than my OpenBSD VPS that runs multiple websites. I purchased one recently and it's got enough horsepower to run as a little home server. It has USB for your external drive.

I bought a CanaKit since it comes with a case and power supply, it was $50 USD
Doom
(22-05-2018, 04:18 AM)resk Wrote: Got a pie recently. Nice to see there's a thread for inspo about what to do with it. I think I'll make a TV-station with it.

I wired a pi to a cheap, party lamp that lights up whenever someone on my team pushes code to production :)
xero
i got 4 1st gen pi's at a thrift shop. still haven't decided what to do w/ them. i was thinking about making a mini-cluster or something... but idk
Jolia
yay @xero you should definitely try https://k3s.io/

i got myself a second gen pi i guess, plugged at my parents house to get remove access, that's it

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode