Favorite Terminal Applications - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
fre d die
Members
awesome! i'm using cmus at the moment but was thinking of just using mpg123 as all of my folders are formatted in artist/album/song so the directory is very easy to navigate to play songs without an ncurses client. i also make a bit of music and was wondering if you have experimentedd with sox in editing and/or processing the audio?
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(14-07-2020, 08:02 AM)phillbush Wrote:
(14-07-2020, 07:53 AM)z3bra Wrote: I'm curious to know why you consider "nq" as a mail client ? It's more of a tool like at(1) or crond(8), than an MUA.

Damn, I mixed my bookmarks up.
I intended to link to mblaze, another project of Leah's.

Ah, that's what I though :) I use mblaze for cleaning my inbox, but still use mutt to manage and read mails, this is much more convenient. Threading is a bit complex to do, for example to bring the full thread back in your inbox when you receive a new message. Here's my digthread script for it for example:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# maildir location
md=$HOME/.cache/mail

# Bring back to inbox all mails in a given thread (except sent ones)
box=${1:-inbox}
mlist $md/$box \
                | mthread -v $(mdirs $md|sed 's/^/-S /') 2>/dev/null \
                | grep -vE "$md/($box|sent)/" \
                | grep -vE '^\s*<'
                | mrefile $md/$box

A bit complex, but it works :) And at list, you can do it. It is much more simple to do with mu though:

Code:
mu find -t m:/inbox

My main issue with "mu" is its query system which I could never get right on first try. Plus the escaping is odd… I prefer mblaze regarding that, and I'm slowly switching away from mu. All that remains is my "mailsearch" script, which symlinks the result of the search is a directory, so you can browse the result within mutt. I couldn't replicate this with mblaze yet, as it usually works in a pipeline, and require different tools/mutliple piping to find your result.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(15-07-2020, 08:44 AM)fre d die Wrote: awesome! i'm using cmus at the moment but was thinking of just using mpg123 as all of my folders are formatted in artist/album/song so the directory is very easy to navigate to play songs without an ncurses client. i also make a bit of music and was wondering if you have experimentedd with sox in editing and/or processing the audio?

I don't have much XP with making music. I mostly use sox to convert file formats and play songs. You might be interrested in ncmixer though :)
fre d die
Members
(15-07-2020, 09:14 AM)z3bra Wrote:
(15-07-2020, 08:44 AM)fre d die Wrote: awesome! i'm using cmus at the moment but was thinking of just using mpg123 as all of my folders are formatted in artist/album/song so the directory is very easy to navigate to play songs without an ncurses client. i also make a bit of music and was wondering if you have experimentedd with sox in editing and/or processing the audio?

I don't have much XP with making music. I mostly use sox to convert file formats and play songs. You might be interrested in ncmixer though :)
Looks intresting! dont think it would work on my system unfortunatly as i dont have sndio
Ramiferous
Nixers
music: ncspot, sox, mpg123
video: mplayer, ffplay
file manager: coreutils, tree, fff, shfm
irc client: sic
terminal emulator: xterm
shell: ksh
system monitor: top, nmon
editor: nvi
screenshot: ImageMagik
torrent client: rtorrent
image viewer: lel, lsix
mail client: heirloom-mailx
passwords: pass
web: w3m-img
other/fun: pkgsrc ;)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Maybe you have some bird ideas... Maybe that's the best you can do.” - Terry A. Davis (R.I.P Percival)