Favorite Terminal Applications - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
fre d die
Members
awesome! i'm using cmus at the moment but was thinking of just using mpg123 as all of my folders are formatted in artist/album/song so the directory is very easy to navigate to play songs without an ncurses client. i also make a bit of music and was wondering if you have experimentedd with sox in editing and/or processing the audio?
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(14-07-2020, 08:02 AM)phillbush Wrote:
(14-07-2020, 07:53 AM)z3bra Wrote: I'm curious to know why you consider "nq" as a mail client ? It's more of a tool like at(1) or crond(8), than an MUA.

Damn, I mixed my bookmarks up.
I intended to link to mblaze, another project of Leah's.

Ah, that's what I though :) I use mblaze for cleaning my inbox, but still use mutt to manage and read mails, this is much more convenient. Threading is a bit complex to do, for example to bring the full thread back in your inbox when you receive a new message. Here's my digthread script for it for example:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# maildir location
md=$HOME/.cache/mail

# Bring back to inbox all mails in a given thread (except sent ones)
box=${1:-inbox}
mlist $md/$box \
                | mthread -v $(mdirs $md|sed 's/^/-S /') 2>/dev/null \
                | grep -vE "$md/($box|sent)/" \
                | grep -vE '^\s*<'
                | mrefile $md/$box

A bit complex, but it works :) And at list, you can do it. It is much more simple to do with mu though:

Code:
mu find -t m:/inbox

My main issue with "mu" is its query system which I could never get right on first try. Plus the escaping is odd… I prefer mblaze regarding that, and I'm slowly switching away from mu. All that remains is my "mailsearch" script, which symlinks the result of the search is a directory, so you can browse the result within mutt. I couldn't replicate this with mblaze yet, as it usually works in a pipeline, and require different tools/mutliple piping to find your result.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(15-07-2020, 08:44 AM)fre d die Wrote: awesome! i'm using cmus at the moment but was thinking of just using mpg123 as all of my folders are formatted in artist/album/song so the directory is very easy to navigate to play songs without an ncurses client. i also make a bit of music and was wondering if you have experimentedd with sox in editing and/or processing the audio?

I don't have much XP with making music. I mostly use sox to convert file formats and play songs. You might be interrested in ncmixer though :)
fre d die
Members
(15-07-2020, 09:14 AM)z3bra Wrote:
(15-07-2020, 08:44 AM)fre d die Wrote: awesome! i'm using cmus at the moment but was thinking of just using mpg123 as all of my folders are formatted in artist/album/song so the directory is very easy to navigate to play songs without an ncurses client. i also make a bit of music and was wondering if you have experimentedd with sox in editing and/or processing the audio?

I don't have much XP with making music. I mostly use sox to convert file formats and play songs. You might be interrested in ncmixer though :)
Looks intresting! dont think it would work on my system unfortunatly as i dont have sndio
Ramiferous
Nixers
updated && bumped..
Ramiferous
Nixers
wm: sdorfehs
~
music: ncspot / mpv
video: mpv / youtube-dl
file manager: coreutils / fff
irc client: weechat
terminal emulator: xterm
shell: ksh
system monitor: top / nmon
editor: vis / vim
writer: groff
pdf viewer: zathura
screenshot: xwd / ffmpeg
torrent client: rtorrent
image viewer: sxiv
wallpaper: xsetroot / hsetroot / feh
mail client: heirloom-mailx
multiplexer: tmux
compositor: picom / none
passwords: pass + passmenu + pinentry-dmenu / safe
web: lariza / phetch (gopher client)
other/fun: pkgsrc ;)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Maybe you have some bird ideas... Maybe that's the best you can do.” - Terry A. Davis (R.I.P Terry & Percival)
phillbush
Long time nixers
Mine has not changed too much from last year:

wm: shod
~
music: mpv + mpc + xprompt
video: mpv + youtube-dl
file manager: lf + coreutils + tree + fmutils
irc client: hexchat
terminal emulator: xterm
shell: ksh
system monitor: some scripts with xnotify
editor: vim
writer: heirloom troff
screenshot: maim
image viewer: sxiv (I want to fork sxiv and make it into a file browser with thumbnails)
wallpaper: feh
mail client: mutt
compositor: none
web: firefox/dillo
other/fun: newsboat
Ramiferous
Nixers
(10-03-2021, 10:49 AM)phillbush Wrote: image viewer: sxiv (I want to fork sxiv and make it into a file browser with thumbnails)

That would be awesome!
freem
Nixers
(10-03-2021, 07:50 PM)Ramiferous Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 10:49 AM)phillbush Wrote: image viewer: sxiv (I want to fork sxiv and make it into a file browser with thumbnails)

That would be awesome!

Then, please, also add it webp format. That would be nice, considering the performances of that format.
jkl
Long time nixers
Update 2021 - something old, something new - and I stopped using e-mails and managing files on the terminal.

music: mpd
video: mpv
terminal emulator: st
text editor: ed, emacs
gopher: phetch
image viewer: feh
P2P file sharing: amule
screenshot: scrot
system monitor: whatever comes with the system
multiplexer: tmux
shell: tcsh
opfez
Members
I'm much more comfortable with Linux and tools now, so I guess I'll update my list.
wm: XFCE on desktop, dwm on laptop
music and video: mpv
file manager: coreutils + thunar (if i need drag+drop)
irc client: irssi
terminal emulator: xfce4-terminal/alacritty
shell: zsh
editor: emacs (converted from vim (sorry))
screenshot: xfce-screenshot/scrot
image viewer: sxiv
mail client: thunderbird
compositor: picom
web: ungoogled-chromium

Overall, emacs has replaced a lot of my programming tools. In a way, this is nice because I get a more cohesive experience, but I do recognize the fact that it is less UNIX-y.
ckester
Members
(10-03-2021, 10:18 PM)freem Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 07:50 PM)Ramiferous Wrote:

That would be awesome!

Then, please, also add it webp format. That would be nice, considering the performances of that format.

sxiv uses Imlib2, so that's probably where you'll need to add support for webp.
Ramiferous
Nixers
(11-03-2021, 12:33 PM)opFez Wrote: editor: emacs

never heard of it..