Favorite text editor? - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Okeg
Long time nixers
I usually run tmux and vim to get a emacs-like session.
But I have been thinking about using emacs, that would kinda combine both. wouldn't it?
crshd
Registered
Over the last few days, I've been giving Sublime a whirl again (for the third time).

Once you spend a while to get to know it, it's actually really neat. It has some nice built-in functionality, and there are some great plugins around - properly set up, I can code in lightning speed.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

crshd
Registered
(06-12-2012, 05:05 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(06-12-2012, 12:21 PM)crshd Wrote: Over the last few days, I've been giving Sublime a whirl again (for the third time).

Once you spend a while to get to know it, it's actually really neat. It has some nice built-in functionality, and there are some great plugins around - properly set up, I can code in lightning speed.

Don't you have to pay for Sublime though?

You can evaluate it free of charge. Still has all the functionality with unlimited usage, except it say "Unregistered" in the window title, and after a longer session, it starts bugging you to go and buy a license once in a while, when you save a file.

But as with anything, there's ways around it.

GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+

simon
Long time nixers
vim and emacs <3
jobss
Long time nixers
I use vim to code non html, java-script things like edit kernel system preferences or just to hack things together, and brackets by Adobe, to do all the web design things.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
hades
Long time nixers
The first non-Windows-Notepad text editor I used was Programmer's Notepad. I thought syntax highlighting was just so cool and different.

Then when I moved to my first linux (Ubunu), I was shocked to discover that the built-in text editor (gedit) has syntax highlighting. So I used gedit for a while and thought it was really good. Then once I got initiated into basic terminal usage I discovered vim, and I haven't looked back since.

I've yet to try emacs, though.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Its not hard, change the source :)
kopri
Long time nixers
I use Sublime Text for quick edits in GTK, Vim for everything else.
dcoppa
Members
Hans Hackett
Members
Using Emacs for sure :-)
jmbi
Long time nixers
Acme of course.
berk
Long time nixers
1000iVim<ESC>:wq
zygotb
Long time nixers
I've been using geany quite a bit lately... But I'd still rather have the old DOS Qedit from SemWare ported to *nix.
Nihility
Members
I use st3 and brackets
EmperorDAZ
Long time nixers
nano, the first thing I started using. Only use it to edit config files or when I'm too lazy to open some other editors to do the job.
crshd
Registered
(04-09-2013, 03:12 PM)shix Wrote: Gross.

Seriously, what's with all the hate on Sublime around here?
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Elitism.
ajac
Members
i use ee on openbsd
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Vim obviously. I sometimes use ed to keep me up to date with line editing.

Also, I recently found e3, an assembly editor which include a vim, emacs and nano mode (aside from other modes). It's extremely light and fast!
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(20-10-2013, 11:04 PM)shix Wrote: I wish I knew how to change some values
s/foo/bar ?
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
Loki123
Members
I always use nano for config files but when I get into PHP and such my choice is gedit. I feel to comfortable with it to change to something like VIM..
vompatti
Long time nixers
iVimjj:wq

...wait, I'm still here
What's programmers favorite thing to do? DELETE CODE!
Git: https://github.com/vhakulinen
oh no you didnt
crshd
Registered
(26-01-2014, 06:43 PM)vompatti Wrote: iVimjj:wq

...wait, I'm still here

That's because you forgot to alias jj to <esc> in the forum's .vimrc

Gen
Long time nixers
Hmm, I've only gotten introduced to programming last summer, and since then I've been using sublime text. It's quite wonderful, and has the option to introduce the Vim commands to it.

I've never used Vim, but I'm intrigued by it. Will definitely check it out later on. But for now, Sublime sounds wonderful.
Saos
Long time nixers
(30-03-2014, 03:04 PM)Gen Wrote: Hmm, I've only gotten introduced to programming last summer, and since then I've been using sublime text. It's quite wonderful, and has the option to introduce the Vim commands to it.

I've never used Vim, but I'm intrigued by it. Will definitely check it out later on. But for now, Sublime sounds wonderful.

Vim is a monster at first, but once you get the hang of issuing commands and inserting characters separately, it's all downhill from there for simple usage.
dkeg
Members
Vim for me please. Works great for any config file editing and the limited web develpment I do. Quick and easy with great plugins. Quite a large community as well.
work hard, complain less
Gen
Long time nixers
I've read amazing views from some friends and people online, and how it can drastically increase your workflow assuming you're programming for hours on end. I'm a bit excited to try it, at the same time I know I'm going to hate it at first:P
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
I've been using mg lately, very light and it uses the comfy basic emacs key bindings :)
Bones
Members
I pretty much use nano for everything, although I've been digging into mg some, too, since installing OpenBSD. On the Mac, I use TextWrangler.
sin
Members