Lith
Long time nixers
As the title suggests guys

Mine was Redhat Linux 6.2 (Zoot), Release date April 3, 2000

With kernel (Linux 2.2.14-5.0)

I was 13... totally 'ALIEN' to me
vompatti
Long time nixers
I really dont remember when I first time tried ubuntu (it was something like 8.04). Reason for try that is that was that I have been always interested by computer and compuers have always fascinated me.

But about year, or so ago I really started to use linux and first distro was xubuntu and then moved to arch and then to freebsd. I think it was hacking which inspired me to go play with linux but then *nix just took me with it and now I dont really even wanna use windows anymore.

^ short version of my story :D
crshd
Registered
My stepdad had a Ph.D in CS, our house was full of *nix machines. So I got exposed to it fairly early, with Slackware at that time. I was seven - that was 16 years ago.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Mafia
Long time nixers
RHL was my first experience.
Robby
Long time nixers
Mint, whatever the latest was when ubuntu 8 was out it would have been that.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Ubuntu 6.x and it sucked so bad I stopped trying for a while then I used backtrack(:3) and then used arch linux then slackware then took interest in BSD, FreeBSD in particular.
Saos
Long time nixers
Ubuntu 9 > Fedora > ArchBang > Arch Linux > GhostBSD > FreeBSD > OpenBSD
jmbi
Long time nixers
My first time using linux was when I was 11. (Haven't really touched Windows since then, actually)

And yes, I used ubuntu. I believe it was 10.04 at the time :P

Edit: Here is a timeline;

Ubuntu > Fedora > Linux Mint > Arch > Debian > Crux > wherever the fuck I am today.
venam
Administrators
* My Router. (AKA AP or Gateway)
:)
zygotb
Long time nixers
PCLinuxOS was my first personal use, but I cut my teeth on Novell NetWare 4.x - not really *nix - but not Windows either.
Someone doesn't appreciate my php generated image!
svante
Members
Linux mint > Fedora 16 > archlinux
jmbi
Long time nixers
I don't feel like this is worthy of a new thread, but what age did you guys really start using unix?

For me I was 11, and it was just because the compiz effects appealed to me.
svante
Members
im 14 now i started using linux for about a year ago
Lith
Long time nixers
Linux today is probs the most laid back/user friendly OS, seeing as it has the GUI install plus all the packages not much need for the terminal in certain
'distros'

Ubuntu
xubuntu (my fav)
Fedora
Cent OS
Redhat (my fav for server setups)

All have the packages you want a 'simple software centre' so easy.... and beautiful but most people 'scare' of the other OS i once had a xubuntu desktop (left on for 4 months straight) not a single crash lol
Ivyl
Members
I installed Mandrake 8.0 for the first time when I was around 12-13.
It took me about year to make (almost) full transition.
Since then Windows is nicknamed Wintendo and I use it only for games.

My story of desktop distros is not so long and bit hardcore. In chronological order:
Mandrake, PLD, Slackware, LFS, Gentoo, Arch

I run CentOS and Debian on few remote machines.
marcusant
Members
I installed DSL back when I was in elementary school to a laptop. I then moved to Ubuntu (still in 5th grade :P). I stopped using Unix-based OSes for a bit and then started in 7th grade again with Ubuntu. Horrified with Unity I moved to Fedora. I really liked how bleeding-edge fedora was. I also tried xUbuntu because I wanted to try XFCE. (I'm honestly not sure what time period this is in at this point... maybe freshman year of high school?) Since then I moved to Arch with XFCE. (And here we have today) I used Arch for a long time with ocasional distro hopping, then switched to gentoo (recently), but moved back to arch because compiling became a pain.

I would definitely use FreeBSD if it got KSM support which my gfx card requires. I use it on any servers I maintain.
crshd
Registered
(12-01-2013, 01:18 PM)Ivyl Wrote: Since then Windows is nicknamed Wintendo

Hehe, that's a new one for me. /me like

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

zygotb
Long time nixers
I read somewhere that the origin of the name "Nintendo" was derived from "Nincompoop," and "Tending."
As in a device intended to keep ninnies busy and out of trouble.
Red
Long time nixers
2009 when i lost my HDD, Needed something to get my PC to work so i could email my collage work to my tutor. So i used Ubuntu in live mode for a while. Old laptop IDE HDD no store had any.
marxist
Members
Back in middle school I decided I'd force myself to dive right into Linux, so I did. Anyways:

Ubuntu 6/7 > Ubuntu 10.04 > CrunchBang > Arch linux
And I dabble with FreeBSD from time to time.
zygotb
Long time nixers
I remember Breezey Badger being too heavy to run on a box which ran Win XP with acceptable responsiveness. (Pentium 3, 256 MB RAM)
It ran DOOM 3 OK, but GNOME was a damn slug, thus I stayed away until I got the netbook in the late part of 2008.
Even in 2008 GNOME ran like molasses on my low-spec rig, but Xfce changed my opinion for the better, and I began to embrace "Linux Xubuntu" and it's variants.
LOL.
Canonical even mailed me a free Ubuntu 8.10 install CD!
For a cheap bastard such as myself, I was an instant crusader for the linux!
totoro
Members
It went something like this:

Ubuntu --> Mint --> Debian --> FreeBSD --> #!

I don't know why I didn't stick with FreeBSD...
Lith
Long time nixers
Why not openbsd? :O
marcusant
Members
(24-01-2013, 09:48 AM)Lith Wrote: Why not openbsd? :O

"I think the OpenBSD crowd is a bunch of masturbating monkeys, in that they make such a big deal about concentrating on security to the point where they pretty much admit that nothing else matters to them." (Linus Torvalds)
Joomla12
Started with Ubuntu 6.04 when I was twelve or so.
jazzycool
Long time nixers
I first started out with ubuntu 10.10 downloaded from fastrack CD. Although it was awesome but I didn't get anything. Later on I searched and installed again, once I started getting the things. I tried peppermint, crunchbang, ubuntu 11.10 and now I am with linux mint 13. Linux is something that can be learned with an ease if you have interest.
eye
Members
first time I bootet a LiveCD was to save my files from a Windows XP crash I think.

Used Knoppix 4.0 the year was 2005/6 can't remember anymore.
CrossFold
Long time nixers
I first used linux when I was nine and it was dynebolic linux. If I remember it right, I had got a CD from the PC-World Magazine and just to give it a try, I used it. But then the curiosity started eating me up and I wanted to know how to use it.
TheHotBot
Long time nixers
My first *nix distro was Debian back in 1996, then moved to slackware.
I actully have a slackware machine still running from 2003 (have restarted it twice).

when I went to school i used slax on my usb, we could only have windouche so i used my usb where ever i would go.

Me myself is a total slackware fanboy! :)

Today it is slackware, debian and Open/freebsd system that i run.
"TheHotBot" Aka NeverW8!

I can be seen on the IRC from time to time :)
zygotb
Long time nixers
(06-02-2013, 09:36 AM)TheHotBot Wrote: My first *nix distro was Debian back in 1996, then moved to slackware.
I actully have a slackware machine still running from 2003 (have restarted it twice).

when I went to school i used slax on my usb, we could only have windouche so i used my usb where ever i would go.

Me myself is a total slackware fanboy! :)

Today it is slackware, debian and Open/freebsd system that i run.

Cool meng!
So you were using Debian at age 4?

Code:
TheHotBot
(HotBot)

Registration Date: 25-09-2012
Date of Birth: 24-06-1992 (20 years old)
Local Time: 06-02-2013 at 09:31 PM
Username Changes: 0