Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Webtm
Members
Hello, I'm Web. Zack or Web. Potato potahto. I've made a few posts around.
I was born into a family of mostly *nix users, which has been pretty awesome, but only recently got into it a couple years ago.
I've used quite a few distributions of GNU/Linux, however I have been using FreeBSD lately, and loving it. I use i3 and won't ever switch. I'm not too much of a ricer.
Hi to everyone. :)
XMPP:deadhead@blah.im
enephst
Members
Nice to meet you!
I'm so jealous about the nix family thing must be awesome
Webtm
Members
You as well.
It is pretty awesome, especially when I was first learning I could just go in the next room and ask for quick help instead of searching around.
strang3quark
Members
I use i3 too.
Never say you won't ever switch, there are a lot of good WM's to try out there.

Welcome to nixers.
Webtm
Members
(09-07-2015, 11:03 PM)strang3quark Wrote: I use i3 too.

Welcome to nixers.
Thanks.
I've tried others. Awesome, dwm and bspwm. i3 is my fit.
venam
Administrators
Seen you around, you're cool.
Welcome here!
Mafia
Long time nixers
(10-07-2015, 01:34 AM)Webtm Wrote:
(09-07-2015, 11:03 PM)strang3quark Wrote: I use i3 too.

Welcome to nixers.
Thanks.
I've tried others. Awesome, dwm and bspwm. i3 is my fit.

Haven't seen you around too much but I've seen you around a few times, plus I've seen you on my forum ^_^. Welcome! i3 is a pretty good WM but believe me, there is a large possibility you will find something else you like better. I tried at least 20 different WMs before settling on FVWM a couple years ago. And even though I use FVWM religiously I still have used a few different WMs on different systems over the years.
Webtm
Members
Thanks.
What are the differences? I'm not much of a ricer, like I've said before so that aspect doesn't really appeal to me. Though I like seeing cool desktops.
i3 tiles, and it has a bar. What are other WM's you suggest? I've tried BSPWM and it was cool and all, but I didn't like having to set specific workspaces for a monitor.
bsdkeith
Long time nixers
OpenBSD has cwm, might be something you would like. :)
xero
Long time nixers
welcome to nixers.

if you want to try out a bunch of (76) different wm's i suggest checking out the linuxbbq cream live distro.
enephst
Members
What's the difference between BBQ and debian?
xero
Long time nixers
distrowatch Wrote:LinuxBBQ is a multi-purpose operating system based on Debian's "unstable" branch and spiced up with kernels and tools from siduction, Grml and Linux Mint. LinuxBBQ offers different flavours and desktops which are released as "editions" (with no version numbers) and which can be customised and remixed by the user. The individual editions are built to include most major desktop environments (with the exception of GNOME) and there is a special edition offering a choice of no fewer than 76 window managers - everything from aewm to xmonad.

they're all independent "spins" that have there own goals. some are designed to be super minimal, others more of a test bed (see cream edition i mentioned previously). go to the http://linuxbbq.org and get roasted!
Webtm
Members
@bsdkeith, @xero
Thanks, I'll check out both of your suggestions.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
This community is not only about ricing, so as a long time *nix user, I'm sure you'll enjoy a fistful of topics in there!
Webtm
Members
(11-07-2015, 10:03 AM)z3bra Wrote: This community is not only about ricing, so as a long time *nix user, I'm sure you'll enjoy a fistful of topics in there!
I've seen some pretty cool topics. :)
greduan
Long time nixers
Welcome my friend! Have you tried OpenBSD?
Eduan / greduan
https://greduan.com
me@greduan.com
Webtm
Members
(11-07-2015, 11:10 PM)greduan Wrote: Welcome my friend! Have you tried OpenBSD?
No I haven't. Currently using FreeBSD.