Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
d9a
Members
Hey.

I'm from Colorado and really enjoy using Unix-based operating systems. Right now I'm trying to settle on a Linux distribution to use. I am a Free Software advocate and try to focus on maintaining privacy. I'm also a programmer studying Computer Science, but I've taken a break because school's expensive. As a result, I need to get back to coding. I really enjoy it but haven't made it a priority in a couple years. I haven't ever looked at these forums before, so I don't really know what to expect. I'm just looking for new friends.
jkl
Long time nixers
Why do you even consider Linux if you enjoy Unix-based operating systems? Stick with the original. :-)

Welcome to nixers.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
d9a
Members
Because Linux is what I'm familiar with. Eventually I'd like to learn OpenBSD.

Thanks!
jkl
Long time nixers
So you haven't even used Unix-based operating systems yet? How can you enjoy them then?

Sigh. Youngsters.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
d9a
Members
Depends on your definition of the word "based".

Also, "Unix-like" might've been more apt to use.
Dworin
Members
Welcome here. If by saying free you're thinking of FSF, I think Debian would be the logical choice or perhaps linux-libre. If you're interested in openbsd, just install it, isn't that the best (only?) way to learn?
jkl
Long time nixers
(03-01-2019, 08:24 PM)d9a Wrote: Depends on your definition of the word "based".

"Based on" = "directly derived from". The only free and open source Unix in existence is OpenSolaris (currently, illumos). The "free" BSDs had mostly diverged by the end of the 80s, thanks to AT&T. Not that OpenBSD was bad though - I quite like it, actually.

See, you've been here for a few hours and you already learned something. :-)

--
d9a
Members
Haven't used OpenBSD yet because I haven't had the time to learn something completely new. I plan on doing it though in the near future. Right now I have Fedora installed, but I'm thinking Debian or Void Linux. I also want to try Alpine Linux on my server.
jkl
Long time nixers
If these are the choices to which you limited yourself, I'd say Void wins. Alpine has a severe lack of package maintainers and Debian has systemd.

--
venam
Administrators
Hello and welcome to the forums d9a.
d9a
Members
(04-01-2019, 12:29 PM)jkl Wrote: If these are the choices to which you limited yourself, I'd say Void wins. Alpine has a severe lack of package maintainers and Debian has systemd.

That's what I'm leaning towards. I don't want systemd. I also am willing to consider other options, but that's what it seems I want.
jkl
Long time nixers
(04-01-2019, 01:42 PM)d9a Wrote: I also am willing to consider other options

In Linuxland, there are always Slackware and Gentoo. Outside of Linuxland, no systemd anywhere.

--
pkal
Long time nixers
Honestly, you don't have to scare yourself away from Debian because of systemd. First of all you'll barley notice a difference in the first place, and user-services are pretty nice. Even if you tend to dislike systemd, debian offers plenty of other advantages (stability, package count, etc.). Other than that, maybe Devuan could be your thing.
twee
Members
Of course, there is always OpenBSD, like you said you were interested in. Installation (excluding disk encryption) takes about half an hour (maybe an hour if you're being slow, but as I said it took me about 5 due to writing random data to my slow hdd). The documentation is impeccable, everything works very well. I say go for it (I did, with no prior planning, and am not regretting it).

welcome to nixers.