Is this forum dead? - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Jake
Registered
As the title says, is this forum dead?

It kind of looks like it, which is a shame. It looks like a great forum with some enthusiastic users. I also really like the layout of the forum.

So is it dead or...?
pranomostro
Long time nixers
This forum is definitely not dead.

It is moving slowly, just as anything with few users. But there's usually some
conversation on IRC, some collaboration on github, and in june there were
some events and challenges that went quite well.

Also, there's a well functioning podcast.

So no, this is definitely well alive and kicking.
venam
Administrators
Not at all, it's not dead, on the contrary.

We just don't usually post anything if it's not of quality.
Just check around and you'll see for yourself.

Pretty quick on the trigger:
Quote:Jake:
Time Spent Online: 16 Minutes, 4 Seconds
strang3quark
Members
As venam said this is not dead, it's better to have a forum with great content and few posts than a forum full of post with no quality.

There's always some action on IRC, irc.nixers.net #unix
Well, I've read through the manpage for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the new posts and irc. I, myself post and am on irc.
acg
Members
I'm not dead (yet) neither the forum. It just isn't a huge community.
argonaut · musician · developer · writer · https://www.betoissues.com
rocx
Members
(17-07-2016, 11:53 AM)albertocg Wrote: It just isn't a huge community.

If you think the seventy-something in #unix isn't "huge", you should've seen the fourteen people there back in 2014. We're bigger now than what it used to be back when UnixHub was around.
Jake
Registered
I guess you guys are right, quality over quantity.

It's just that you often see much more quantity over quality in forums that use MyBB, which I'm assuming you are using (since there are many similarities to a standard looking MyBB forum)- Therefore I assumed that this was the case with this forum as well. I guess I was wrong. My bad!

See you on the IRC.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
These forums are another medium to discuss topics around unix. It seems like the preffered one is IRC for most people, which is more volatile.
Not much people create new threads, but many enjoy participating to active topics. We just need more people starting fresh content ;)

Don't be shy!
nikivi
Members
Speaking of irc, I am trying to connect to it now but I don't see the #unix channel there. These are the only channels I see : http://i.imgur.com/EWsOgbh.png

And I connected to it like so : http://i.imgur.com/cNMHEcT.png

Perhaps I made a mistake somewhere.

Thank you for any help.
josuah
Long time nixers
(18-07-2016, 02:33 PM)nikivi Wrote: Perhaps I made a mistake somewhere.

Everything looks all right to me on your screenshots.

The channel #nixers redirects to #unix, so maybe the channel list was not updated correctly. I also do not see those both channels neither with the /list command.

If you can join a channel even if it is not on this list, just join #unix (if you can enter commands, you can type <code>/join #unix</code>).

I hope it helps... If it does not work, what is your IRC client?
rocx
Members
(18-07-2016, 02:33 PM)nikivi Wrote: Speaking of irc, I am trying to connect to it now but I don't see the #unix channel there. These are the only channels I see : http://i.imgur.com/EWsOgbh.png

Perhaps I made a mistake somewhere. Thank you for any help.

The channel has a +s mode.. +s hides the channel from the /list. Join #unix as #nixers will redirect you to #unix.

[Image: a17.png]
#unix is there.
josuah
Long time nixers
(18-07-2016, 02:49 PM)rocx Wrote: The channel has a +s mode.. +s hides the channel from the /list. Join #unix as #nixers will redirect you to #unix.

But ERC has no problem showing it seems ^_^.

Damn I miss Emacs!
rocx
Members
(18-07-2016, 05:01 PM)sshbio Wrote:
rocx Wrote: The channel has a +s mode.. +s hides the channel from the /list. Join #unix as #nixers will redirect you to #unix.
But ERC has no problem showing it seems ^_^.

Damn I miss Emacs!

UnrealIRCd Wiki for the +s setting Wrote:The channel won't show up in /LIST and won't show up in /WHOIS (unless you are in the same channel or an IRCOp)

Seeing as I'm both in #unix and an op there, it's totally visible. You're more than welcome to join the light side of the dorks.
xero
Long time nixers
(17-07-2016, 06:50 AM)Jake Wrote: is this forum dead?

it's only as active as it's members. post some content and spark up a discussion!

(18-07-2016, 05:01 PM)sshbio Wrote: But ERC has no problem showing it seems ^_^.

i think it shows if you've already joined.

that's dumb. we should -s
0wl3x
Members
(17-07-2016, 09:07 AM)venam Wrote: Pretty quick on the trigger:
Quote:Jake:
Time Spent Online: 16 Minutes, 4 Seconds
LOL