Poll: What should the project be?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Window Manager 8 36.36%
Desktop Environment 0 0%
Init System 3 13.64%
Browser 4 18.18%
Linux or BSD distro 1 4.55%
Other 6 27.27%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Nixers.net Community Project - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
I'm not sure this community can create a worthwhile distro, that would be a really big task. Maybe we could create a browser, like a few people have suggested. Perhaps we could go for something even less ambitious, like a simple init system, IRC client, or browser add-on. We can't just sit back and throw ideas around, we need to start throwing code around. If you see an idea that tickles your fancy, make a repo and solicit bug reports and patches to whatever code you have.

Of course, before we do that, we have to reach a consensus on what the project will actually be. What do you think we should be working on?
my website: kaashif.co.uk
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
An init system would be useless, there are plenty around (sinit, init, cinit, ...). Same goes for the Window manager. Moreover, we already got venam's 2bwm, which is fully working and just need more people to work on/test features.

My personnal bet would be a game, especially a King of the hill, like core war or this stack exchange game. I was thinking of something where the players could create their warrior in the language they want. Everybody could contribute then (but we'll have to choose a language for the core though).
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
You know what, that is actually a good idea. I wanted an init system mainly for personal practice, so I'll write one anyway, but a game in that vein sounds like a good community project.
kirby
Long time nixers
If you go through the previous thread, there was talk of a game, and I think it'd probably be for the best. It's easier to contribute to imo, I think other stuff sets the bar too high, when people have to do a lot of background reading it simply won't get done.
hades
Long time nixers
Linux/Unix has plenty of browsers, plenty of WMs, and plenty of distros... We should make a utility specialized in something like CAD or something else meant for professional use... something that's actually needed. Make it minimal and make it competitive with existing proprietary alternatives.

I myself think we need a more decent competitor to the Adobe Creative Suite, but that may be a bit of a large project for our community.

Perhaps an ultra-lightweight and well-polished CAD suite would be worth attempting?
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
IMHO, a CAD software would be a really good idea for the UNNIX world, as there are very few around here. But definitely not a good bet for our first project...

It involves advanced mathematics, graphical libraries, 3D rendering... And a CAD software has many features (textures, constraints, friction, ...). I don't think we're ready for such a huge challenge yet.
We'd better start with something really easy, polish it, then start a new one, a bit harder, and so on.. It would make us more confident, as well as improving our programming skills. But your idea is worth keeping for later :)
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
vompatti
Long time nixers
Another cool project could be collection of X setups. Just git repo with bunch of setups which all includes install scripts.
What's programmers favorite thing to do? DELETE CODE!
Git: https://github.com/vhakulinen
oh no you didnt
venam
Administrators
I think the most easy thing to pull together would be, like vompatti mentioned, a collection of scripts. Maybe multiple repos with different collections of scripts used in different situations. If we can do that then we can move to a more mature project.
berk
Long time nixers
What about a decent alternative to Guitar Pro?
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
I think doing something like a collection of scripts would be good, too. It's a lot less ambitious than a distro, CAD software, or a game, so a lot more realistic. Whoever is in charge around here (cough yrmt cough) should make a Nixers GitHub org and we should start putting our own setups on there and working out some way to standardise the install scripts.
venam
Administrators
(11-04-2014, 12:16 PM)pizzaroll1 Wrote: I think doing something like a collection of scripts would be good, too. It's a lot less ambitious than a distro, CAD software, or a game, so a lot more realistic. Whoever is in charge around here (cough yrmt cough) should make a Nixers GitHub org and we should start putting our own setups on there and working out some way to standardise the install scripts.
Maybe just rename the UH github group to Nixers.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
We can't rename the group. I'll create a new one ASAP.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
https://github.com/nixers-software

Anyone can have an invite!
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
Invite me, please (http://github.com/pizzaroll). Thanks.
berk
Long time nixers
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Added you!
vompatti
Long time nixers
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Quote:You must be a member to see who's a part of this organization.

You forgot to make the group public (as well as the repos)
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
So when do we get repo making privileges? After we decide on a project? Pshh, we don't need to decide what we're doing, we can just start doing shit and maybe it will turn out well. All this deliberation over what we're going to do is annoying (ignore that I was the one who started this thread), let's just do it! Bazaar, not cathedral, right?
kirby
Long time nixers
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
So we basically forget the idea to make a new project. Everyone will just dump their script to the nixers repo. Am I right ?
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
berk
Long time nixers
OpenSSL alternative?
DotDev
Long time nixers
we can make a shell, can call it nix shell.
sin
Members
A standalone process supervision tool to go along with sinit etc. would be nice. I am personally a big fan of process supervision as I prefer processes that crash and/or stop for whatever reason to not be restarted until a human operator has diagnosed the underlying issue.

It might however be something that you guys are interested in, I know of several people who would like this.

s/I am/I am not/
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
When we push our private keys to the private key repo, how should we encrypt them? ROT13? XOR? Changing the extension from '.txt' to '.encrypted'? Should we just not encrypt them and put them on ftp.nixers.net? I mean, what are the chances someone would guess the IP, right?

These are all very serious questions.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
You can upload your keys on the default keyservers.