Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Jayro
Long time nixers
Hello UnixHub members,

I would like to thank you for sticking with us throughout the recent outage. Over the past couple of days the forum and other UnixHub services have been offline intermittently.

This was caused by a number of things. Mostly, we were dealing with a very poor service provider. They had noticed over 2000+ open SMTP connections to the primary Unixhub server and immidiately severed the servers connection. Not only did they do this wrongly, they did not answer our support queries regarding the outage for a full 24 hours.

The user who had caused the large number of open SMTP connections has using our server to send spam and has since been dealt with. We have taken measures prevent spammers from using our mail server to relay their junk mail.

We have also migrated to a new server provider. This new provider is a hosting company I personally work for. This means we do not only have access to the server itself but have access to the network operations center where the server is stored. Never again will we encounter an issue like we did ealier this week. In the future if anything like this occurs we will have access to deal with the situation immidiately without causing any large amount of downtime for our beloved community.

If you have any questions regarding your security here at UnixHub or have any inquiries regarding our recent outage please post them in this thread. I or one of the other administrators will do our best to provide complete transparency in regards to this situation.

Thank you very much for sticking with us,
Jayro
Unixhub Systems Administrator
kirby
Long time nixers
Thanks for all the work you've been putting in, and I look forward to seeing UnixHub back for good again.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Thank you man.
Phyrne
Long time nixers
Thanks Jayro! Nice to have UH back :)
Jayro
Long time nixers
You guys don't have to thank me. I love the Unixhub community and keeping this wonderful place online is something I love to do.

I also want to mention that along with migrating to a new provider, we also have more server resources than we did previously. This means the site should not only be online for good but should be faster as well.
shtols
Long time nixers
Finally, I'm not alone on the Internet anymore. Thanks very much Jayro (and the rest of the staff).
hades
Long time nixers
I just tried to change my Avatar, and it wouldn't let me upload the new one. This probably has to do with the new server. Be sure the folder that Avatar images are kept in has the proper write permissions set.
Jayro
Long time nixers
(24-07-2013, 06:44 PM)dbcooper Wrote: I just tried to change my Avatar, and it wouldn't let me upload the new one. This probably has to do with the new server. Be sure the folder that Avatar images are kept in has the proper write permissions set.

Try again now. You should have better luck.

It was not a permissions issue but thank you for your suggestion. :)
hades
Long time nixers
Thanks, it works now.

Thanks for all you guys do to keep the site running. Y'all are fantastic, hard-working folks and if I could, I would buy you some ice cream.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
I want ice cream
Reki
Members
I've been busy again so I've been away for a long time and I got shocked when I couldn't enter the IRC and the site. Really glad to know UH is still up.
vompatti
Long time nixers
When will the email service come back up?
Jayro
Long time nixers
(28-07-2013, 07:16 AM)vompatti Wrote: When will the email service come back up?

The email service will return shortly. However, for security reasons we are going to be putting a new policy in place regarding our UnixHub email accounts.

More information to come.